Wrong Bootloader active on my Dell 490 desktop

rjjd

Hi i installed today by mistake the clover bootloader on Dell Precision 490 desktop :(   witch had the chameleon bootloader active and working.

I have Yosemite 10.10.4 installed on it.

My systems boot up now with the clover loader and hangs.

Is there an way to correct this?

Can anyone tell me how to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

• Administrators

That may not actually work but you could indeed try that, having booted your Yos partition through your USB installer. Re-install the complete Chameleon package, they're available from IM download area for instance.

If that does not work, it's likely that the EFI partition would have to be reformatted/recreated. I think it might be possible to mount it from Windows with DISKPART and reformat it. Normally it's a plain FAT32 partition.

Open up a command (DOS) window with administrator's rights

run DISKPART

identify the partition with LIST PART

select the partition with SELECT PART n, where 'n' is the identified EFI partition

assign it a letter with ASSIGN LETTER=p, where 'p' is the desired Windows drive letter (use a letter towards the alphabet end such as X, Y or Z)

Exit diskpart and return to Windows; you should now see your EFI partition listed among your computer drives/disks. You may then reformat it.

Thanks for the replies, what is the IM download site? The second solution you mentioned was to boot the system with an bootable windows cd or usb and then execute the steps you described , but what do you mean by reformat it? And is that all what i must do.?

• Administrators

IM = InsanelyMac

By reformat, I mean you right click on the partition and reformat it! Can't describe it better I'm afraid. Then you reboot OS X through your USB installer and reinstall Chameleon.

Thanks, i will try that tomorrow but i do not have an good feeling about it. (but then it is , my mistake ) If this is not working i will proceed with the installation of the optiplex 790 and see how far i get with this machine. i tried to create an usb drive for it but no succes yet..

• Moderators

Have you consider using Clover instead of going back to Chameleon? 

The default setting in Clover Config might be the cause of your system not loading.

You could try converting your settings from org.chameleon.boot.plist to Clover Config.plist.

Upload your Chameleon bootpack if you want assistance.

Include entire /Extra and any kexts installed to /S/L/E

Update:

Sorry Hervé, didn't realized you had created the guide here with Chameleon.

• Moderators

Try this config converted from your O.C.B.P/SMBios. Place it in EFI/Clover

Copy your DSDT from /Extra to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched

You can use Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition.

Update:

I successfully converted the Optiplex 990 from Chameleon to Clover with the attached config

Changed SMBIOS specific to the 990

Moved all the kexts from /Extra/Extensions to /EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.10

Moved DSDT/SSDT to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched

config.plist.zip