Issue after direct El Capitan upgrade

Zevgoli

Hey everyone,

I know this is not a my hack question but since we are in limbo with it I have another interesting problem to keep our minds occupied till the update arrive.

I have a a Dell Optiplex 760 running Yosemite perfectly under clover. You may remember me commenting a few months ago that I had switched to Clover to upgrade the OS.

I heard rumblings that you could sign up for the El Capitan public beta program which I did. I downloaded the Dmg to apps and then tried a crazy thing. I upgraded directly like I had a real Mac. After a lot of fiddling with kexts, I actually made it work. I kept all my settings and files as you would with any upgrade on native hardware.

There is only one problem. I can only boot via Clover into El Capitan in safe mode. Any other mode gives me a kernel panic. I have attached a screen shot of what happens. Can anyone help.

Cheers, Howard

post-4953-0-16542800-1437639872_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hervé
Adjusted picture attachment

Jake...you are the man. I can now boot directly into El Capitan on my Optiplex. Thank you so much.

For the rest of you, backup and go for the direct upgrade. Just make sure you have the latest Clover if you are using it.

Cheers, Howard

Well if you're interested, there's a full Guide for Optiplex 760/780 available here at InsanelyMac.

It uses Clover, has a patch for on-the-fly native AppleHDA and a fully configured DSDT to enable QE/CI with AMD Radeon HD 5450 Series (you can adapt it to your own system), sleep/wake etc.

It's designed for Yosemite but I tried to launch the USB stick to install El Capitan and it boots (note that I did not installed OS X 10.11, just check that the Clover's EFI folder could reach the install screen just fine ;) ).

The beauty is that you don't need a USB stick to upgrade to El Capitan. Make sure the usual kexts are in the 10.11 folder in clover. Before I tried I removed my Nvidia video card and used the vga port on the Optiplex board for the install. I do this because the install goes quicker and it is easy after install to put the card back in and let the OS picks it up. I did this when I installed Yosemite. I also use a usb keyboard and mouse for the install. Again runs quicker with less surprises.

Just start the public beta Dmg in applications, let it run the installation and it will reboot. The install will then finish and reboot again. Here I had the minour issue outlined above which Jake helped me fix. After getting in apps run a little weird but there is a new patch at the app store that targets 32 bit apps running slow after el Capitan install. If you install this and reboot alls well and things run pretty smoothly. I have everything working but sound which I will fix soon.

Cheers, Howard

The beauty is that you don't need a USB stick to upgrade to El Capitan. Make sure the usual kexts are in the 10.11 folder in clover. Before I tried I removed my Nvidia video card and used the vga port on the Optiplex board for the install. I do this because the install goes quicker and it is easy after install to put the card back in and let the OS picks it up. I did this when I installed Yosemite. I also use a usb keyboard and mouse for the install. Again runs quicker with less surprises.

Just start the public beta Dmg in applications, let it run the installation and it will reboot. The install will then finish and reboot again. Here I had the minour issue outlined above which Jake helped me fix. After getting in apps run a little weird but there is a new patch at the app store that targets 32 bit apps running slow after el Capitan install. If you install this and reboot alls well and things run pretty smoothly. I have everything working but sound which I will fix soon.

Cheers, Howard

Quicker install by removing Graphics Card ? If you say so...

I pointed out the Guide essentially for AppleHDA native audio Clover patch which seems to be your latest issue to fix. Furthermore, It's a better solution than using VoodooHDA. All audio outputs works fine (including HDMI audio with the correct HDAU device defined in the DSDT) and sound quality is excellent. You don't need to worry about AppleHDADisabler.kext (which is the solution for your KP BTW) and future updates of OS X.