Alienware X51R2

ssprod

Greetings.. picked up a Dell Alienware X51R2 desktop system for a song. Am presently unsuccessful booting Yosemite 10.10.4 to initial install via Clover Legacy method. As soon as the initial verbose completes, the system reboots. Have tried numerous boot flags with the same boot loop results.

Specs as follows:

Intel Core i3 4150 (Haswell)

Intel HD Graphics 4400 (Dell)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 (NVIDIA)

I have attempted to boot Clover USB with either GPU, resulting in the same boot loop. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

ssprod

• Administrators

Boot loop is indeed probably due to missing but necessary Haswell patch. At Clover main screen, go to "options", then to "binaries patching menu" and select "Kernel PM patch". You may unselect "AppleIntelCPUPM patch" as that does no apply to your Haswell CPU though it won't do any harm. Power management for Haswell CPUs has been handled in kernel for some time now (since ML if I'm not mistaken).

Regarding Intel HD 4400 support, well, try as suggested by Jake. Again, in "options" menu, go to "Graphics Injector menu", select "InjectIntel" and add your chosen Azul framebuffer layout-id in "FBConfig". You must enter the value in reverse order, i.e. for layout-id 0x0a260006, type "0600260a".

If that does not lead you to full graphics acceleration (you'll notice a slow system response and screen glitches), you may experience with other Azul frame buffer layout-ids. RampageDev has listed them on his blog, though I think some of the last entries to be incorrect but I think they're for mobile models.

Gentleman, thank you for this information, it is invaluable! I am able to boot, and i've installed Clover (UEFI) on the system. I've included the suggested patches, however I've not attempted the Intel injection, as I'd like to hope that my GTX745 can work. Presently, I'm only able to boot with nv_disable=1. Any suggestions as to how I can proceed to getting this GPU feeling comfortable? Once again, thanks for your support! ssprod

• Administrators

Download IORegistryExplorer and post us the saved full output. Specify the version of the app you used as there are 2 versions on the go.

Then, try and extract your raw DSDT with an app like Chameleon Wizard or DSDTEditor and post it too. We  can then try to patch your DSDT with the IOREg info and hopefully get your GTX745 supported in Yosemite.

As with all high-end Dell desktop PCs, we may find that the default PCI root is set at 4. We can modify this back to 0. With Chameleon, you could specify boot option PciRoot=4 and that could get your card up and running. Don't know how you'd do that in Clover I'm afraid...

Once again, thanks for your efforts here. I have my ioreg file, as well as my config. from Clover, however when I try to extract my dsdt via Chameleon Wizard (chose "Here You Can Extract DSDT from your Hardware"), it renders a dsdt.aml to my desktop that is 0 kb and a message "Could not get table from the file

Loading Acpi table from file /Users/alienware/cw_dsdt/dsdt.aml". I've also tried with Maciasl, saving as ACPI Binary, but a message "the document system dsdt could not be saves as... the compiler returned one or more errors". I've also pressed "F4" at the Clover boot loader which put a number of files in Clover/ACPI/origin folder. Would this be helpful? 
Please advise, thanks. ssprod

• Administrators

Ok, so:

• PCI root id is 0, so that's cleared out of the way
  • HD4000 is GFX0@2 with id 041e; ideally, should be renamed IGPU in a patched DSDT. No visible layout-id, so you must enter one out of the 15 or so possible value. You may try them one by one until you hot the correct one.
  • GTX745 is PEGP@0 under PEG0@1 with vendor id 10de (nVidia) and device id 1382; ideally, should be renamed GFX0 in a patched DSDT.
  • The graphics devices are defined in SSDT-6 raw table, not in the raw DSDT.