E6440 - OS X 10.11 El Capitan (Beta) installation

Hervé

• Administrators

A bit of a difficult one this time, mostly due to a combination of mobile HD4600 GPU and boot loaders that modified the GPU mobile version id to desktop version id 0412.

Using the now well-known Yosemite method, there is no issue building the USB installer using the DB installation app. El Capitan DB can then be installed either with Clover bootloader (r3224 and above) or Enoch bootloader (r2725 and above).

E6440_i5-4300U_HD4600_ElCap-10.11DB.jpg

E6440_HD4600_10.11DB.jpg

There was no issue updating from DB to DB4, then tune the system to:

1. get full QE/CI by patching the AzulFB + HD5000Graphics kexts to reflect on mobile HD4600 id 0416 instead of desktop id 0412 (patch of Info.plist file + hex mod of binary file in MacOS subfolder)
  2. support HDMI connection by patching the AzulFB kext
  3. remove 2nd stage boot screen corruption by patching IOGraphicsFamily kext
  4. get all USB ports + Intel Bluetooth to work by removal of AppleHPET kext in /S/L/E
  5. get full audio by replacing AppleHDA by patched version

When it comes to DB5 and as I wrote in the E6220 10.11 DB thread, things get much more awkward and difficult, especially on this E6440 laptop. Even though I boot with rootless=0 option to disable SIP, SLE folder remains fully protected so removing the AppleHPET kext for instance is a thankless task (I actually had to remove the kext from Yos!). Same with replacing AppleHDA.

So, as I also wrote in the E6220 thread, El Capitan DB5 is probably best avoided for the time being, until such time as the SIP protection can be more easily bypassed. In time, we'll see.

Other than than, everything seems to work just as in previous versions such as Mavericks or Yosemite, except USB port on the left side which is now dead because there's no USB3.0 support any more (was Ok up to DB4 as far as I can recall). Nothing new in terms of kext, but the DSDT might require new tuning to sort out the USB ports again. RAM is incorrectly reported too, showing 9,12Go of RAM when I have 8Go!

Recommended boot loader for 10.11 DB5 seems to be Clover v3251 at the moment and all kexts must go to /Library/Extensions (/E/E no longer supported and SLE fully protected).

I'm a strong Chameleon fan so I use Enoch branch r2725 and above can boot 10.11. Trouble: bootloader includes replacement of mobile HD4600 id 0416 by desktop HD4600 id 0412. I've never been able to obtain graphics acceleration with desktop id 0412 so I had to request a source code mod of the Enoch branch to remove that id replacement. I did try to mod and recompile the code myself but, whilst it worked Ok with Mav and Yos, it would not boot 10.11 and I got instant reset instead. At the moment, I using a test/unreleased Enoch boot file, which is not bug free, but boots Mav, Yos and El Capitan successfully and retains mobile HD4600 id 0416.

So, things are looking good with 10.11 Beta on the E6440 at the moment, but there's still more work to do...

E6440_i5-4300M_HD4600_10.11DB5.jpg

E6440_10.11DB5.jpg E6440_10.11DB5_SpeedStep.jpg

E6440_10.11DB5_No-USB3.0.jpg

Regarding graphics kext patching, everything can be derived from this thread and the main E6440 Mav/Yos guide. There really is nothing new but I recommend sticking to DB4 for ease of use. DB5 is kind of complicated. You've been warned.

Haswell-patched kernels are available here.

• Administrators

Up to DB6 and, again, encountered trouble with the cache/prelinked kernel. Basically, FakeSMC kept getting omitted due to unsigned/unverified status. In the end, I had to reboot in single-user mode, load the kext manually and then, result normal boot. Once system was up and running, I was then able to manually fully rebuild the cache/prelinked kernel.

E6440_10.11DB6.jpg

10.11DB6_patched_AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext.zip

10.11DB6_patched_AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.kext.zip

10.11DB6_patched_IOGraphicsFamily.kext.zip

• Like 1

• Administrators

Pending Apple's re-publishing of 10.11GM, I finally updated to DB8. No particular issues to report. I had 1st updated Enoch to latest version 2760 (at time of writing) to test CsrActiveConfig parameter.

E6440_10.11DB8.jpg

Having had a few words with Rehabman recently, I also took the opportunity of this update (and consequential return to vanilla graphics kexts) to test the FakePCIID kexts solution on the E6440 to retain graphics acceleration on my mobile HD4600. Again, and as anyone would expect, no problems on that front: it's a simple matter of copying the 2 kexts FakePCIID + FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400 to /L/E (followed by usual permissions repair + cache rebuild) and patching the DSDT to IGPU device-id 0412 (Desktop HD4600). It is a lot simpler that having to rematch the Azul+HD5000+IOGraphics kexts + OpenCL library all the time, even though those patches do fully work.

Device (IGPU)
       {
            Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)
            Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
            {
                Store (Package (0x08)
                {
                    "AAPL,slot-name", 
                    "Built-in", 
                    "device-id", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0x12, 0x04, 0x00, 0x00     // -> Desktop HD4600 id
                    }, 
                    "AAPL,ig-platform-id", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0x06, 0x00, 0x26, 0x0A
                    }, 
                    "hda-gfx", 
                    Buffer (0x0A)
                    {
                        "onboard-1"
                    }
                }, Local0)
            DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
            Return (Local0)
        }
    }

And, again as usual, AppleHPET + AppleHDA kexts need to be removed from /S/L/E for USB ports to work and patched AppleHDA to be loaded from /L/E.