E5420, 10.10.4 and some issues

Kulex

Hello all!

After some time enjoying my hackintosh I decided to update it to 10.10.4. The update process was successful but after restart the computer some issues appeared.

First, I can't start the operating system without the -v -f flags. If I don't enter these options, after a while the boot process gets stuck.

Second, sleeping is not possible now. I really miss this, because I used my hackintosh to work and turn it on and off all the time is really time consuming.

Any idea about what is going on? My E5420 is an i3 machine, with 4 GB RAM. Currently the SD reader works partially (or randomly) and I haven't tested the expresscard port. The wifi will be replaced as soon as arrives from ebay.

• Administrators

Since you need to boot without the cache (which is abnormal behaviour, even after a 10.10 update), once you're up and running, rebuild it manually with the following Terminal commands:

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

• Administrators

What's the current hibernate mode? Check it out with Terminal command:

sudo pmset -g

You may also check presence of an hibernation file:

ls -la /var/vm

and, if found, delete it:

sudo rm -f /var/vm/sleepimage

I tried what you said but the result is the same. Here is the output of "sudo pmset -g":

Active Profiles:
Battery Power		-1
AC Power		-1*
Currently in use:
 hibernatemode        3
 halfdim              1
 lidwake              1
 disksleep            0
 standbydelay         4200
 ttyskeepawake        1
 sleep                0 (sleep prevented by UserEventAgent)
 hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage
 autorestart          0
 standby              0
 displaysleep         3

Is the only detail with the update... before 10.10.4 everything was really smooth

• Administrators

So far, I've not suggested any ways to fix sleep, I've merely asked you to check hibernation mode...

This being said, hibernation must be disabled on a Hackintosh, i.e. you just run plain old sleep; currently it is on (hibernate mode set to 3), hence your trouble. Hibernation mode can be defaulted back by an OS X update.

Fix sleep with the following Terminal commands:

sudo pmset hibernatemode 0
sudo pmset hibernatefile /dev/null
sudo rm -f /var/vm/sleepimage

Thanks for the answer. I did what you said and now the sleep is working if I use the command in the apple menu. Nevertheless, after I close the laptop (without putting to sleep it first) it's not possible to come back from the sleeping status. The laptop turns on but stays freeze. What could it be?

• Administrators

You probably need some DSDT patches. Look at Rehabman's repository, he's got patches for LID fixes re: sleep & wake. They work fine and I use them on the E6440. I think I also posted details in my E6440 guide, look it up.

• Moderators

Thanks for the answer. I did what you said and now the sleep is working if I use the command in the apple menu. Nevertheless, after I close the laptop (without putting to sleep it first) it's not possible to come back from the sleeping status. The laptop turns on but stays freeze. What could it be?

try bootpack and update files here. Patched DSDT included.

I'm following your guide Jake Lo but the 10.10.4 update doesn't change any file for E5420 model. In fact, if I replace the AppleHDA.kext with the new one, I lost the sound device  :-( .

I will reinstall the DSTD files and see if something happens... If not I will try with Hervé's advice.

I will let you know my results!