D630 / Intel goes black during install of both Lion and Snow Leopard

niad

I have tried to install Lion by way of the guide "Install Lion on a supported machine" and Snow Leopard following "Howto install OSX Snow Leopard on your Dell".

Both installers start and i get the apple on grey background and spinning wheel but after that the screen goes black. In the Lion install it goes black/glowing in some way and in the Snow Leopard install it goes totally black/dead/off.

I have no problem as i see it following the instructions everything seems clear but it does not go as supposed.

D630 with Intel Graphics (at least that is what an Ubuntu Live disk reported.

Any ideas would be great...

/niklas, sweden

I am a newbie too, I had the same problem when I was using iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) cd, but I learned that if I gave it enough time 20-25 minutes, then I come back and move the pointer or mouse , then I get into the install screen. Same when the OS was being loaded and the first boot. It has something to do not having the right drivers to begin with. Sohe give it enough time then move the mouse.

I was forced to go the iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) way as I did not have a mac or an 8GB USB stick. If you finally get into OS X, then you can prepare a 8GB USB stick or an external USB harddrive as wiki states. By adding the Extra folder and chameleon, and the retail OSX DVD image, the process is very fast and the screen does not go black on you.o

On your first boot, you may have to do the "-x" safe mode. I had to do it a couple of times. Make sure that you pick the right EDP, and the Extra Folder. The rest was easy for me. I went through the whole thing 6 times today trying to do dual boot, and I am not having any issue every time setting up the OSX.

Hope this help. Please post your progress.

P.S. look up "-x -f -v "

Started with "-v" and got to see the loading process but apart from one or two "could not load..." in the middle of the flowing text it goes through and loads the apple and then when i expect the real install process to begin the screen just starts to glow in black. When i leave it for a while it goes to "sleep" glowing more darkly and when i move the mouse it wakes up to the same black intense glow again.

I have left it for half an hour now without result.

Will try to connect it to an external screen later today.

I have BIOS 04, does this maybe matter? It goes up to 09 i think in versions.

I have tried with an external monitor now and now i can see that after the apple screen when i get a blank screen om the laptop i instead get the grey "tablecloth" background only on the external monitor. No menus and no text, just the grey background that MyHack uses. I don´t know if i just shall wait here or what to do?

I have tried with an external monitor now and now i can see that after the apple screen when i get a blank screen om the laptop i instead get the grey "tablecloth" background only on the external monitor. No menus and no text, just the grey background that MyHack uses. I don´t know if i just shall wait here or what to do?

Definitely get the latest bios from Dell for your D630. Then try it again. I also have seen that when the HD drive has been played with few times, I get more KP's when booting with the USB pen. I then use the XP CD and delete all partition and format before I use the OSX Installer Disk utility.

I saw on a post here where there may be a OSXLATITUDE bios for some of the Dxxx models.

Since Lion is new, I decided to do the Snow Leopard and kind of get a feel of the process before I attemp the Lion.

Hang in there, keep trying and post results here.