Undervolt CPU on a Dell Vostro 1400

ervinke2

• Administrators

CoolBook only worked on Core2Duo CPUs and I think was last supported in Lion. Probably nothing to consider outside native speedStep under Yosemite... Tuning AGPM to throttle the nVidia 8400GS will also help to cool it down (you're obviously not running Yos on a X3100-based model).

Lookup the Performance tuning + AGPM tuning thread in R&D forum subsection. The Vostro 1400 is a close relative of the D630/D830 family.

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/forum/16-other-research/

Actually I don't really have a problem with the temperatures. Just my fan is running louder compared to Windows.

I did the AGPM tweak and it's working great. But even now that the gpu and memory clock changes better, I often get little laggy animations. For example if I open Launchpad for the first time it's not as smooth, for the second open it's great. I think the clock changes not reacting as fast as they should.

• Administrators

Well, you can play around with the idle % settings in the AGPM kext plist to try and tune GPU throttling. I fully agree that if you use default settings, you may experience the odd lag at kicking the GPU into boost modes. You can therefore adjust levels at which you want GPU to boost frequencies and, by repeated trial, hopefully obtain a level of performance that suits you. It's stated in the thread. You may not have noticed that in the code I posted, I had actually modified those idle % levels in my add-on plist entry.