[Solved] OSXL threatened - Help us choose

Leon

Help us choose...  

162 members have voted

1. 1. What should we choose ?

• I have just donated to [email protected] - Now go buy the Copyright Removal option
    • Just add the damn copyright and be done with it
    • WTF?, Change the forum software - even if it means downtime
    • Whatever, let them close down OSXL

Wow, that person with whom you were speaking certainly had a "holier than thou" attitude. She had a chip on her shoulder from the first email. Nothing you could've said was going to change that.

I have cast my vote to abandon this company and their software.

I have long been ashamed of the way American companies think that the whole internet belongs to the U.S. Not all of us think that way, I assure you. Those of us who actually spend time outside the country have a respect for the sovereignty of other nations.

I'm shocked! But after looking them up on Wikipedia, I see that this same person has nullified all perpetual licenses by saying that a version change means the original software will no longer exist. Your treatment seems to be one of their methods to reduce the number of customers with perpetual licenses.

I would put the copyright notice in place and build a concurrent open source based forum that would then be promoted to the live forum. Both would be php based and then it's just a matter of copying database contents from one to the other.

This is one example of how dependence on proprietary software means you don't control your own destiny.

I've gone back to school to work on my B.S. in computer science so funds are limited but I offer assistance to aid in such an endeavor.

I don't find Invision's request particularly offensive: they put a lot of work behind a pretty good product, so it's reasonable to try and get some form of revenue from it.

I would put the copyright on the page for now and take the time to investigate other products and their options to migrate data.

• Administrators

Calagan, in some way i can agree with you - but i am still left with "why now??" - they have upgraded our software plenty of times, we have used this theme for quite a long time - why wait until now ?

First of all we have to find a forum platform where we can import stuff.. that would be step 1 - i think it would suck big time if we had to kill everything.

How you plan to redirect ipb links to mybb/smf? it would broke your seo very hard if you don't redirect all old links

About attachment it would also broke(free software like mybb/smf don't have converter for attachment) 

Also switching to phpbb brokes all user password (it did last time i switch from ipb) (users have to reset passwords)

The people that come on here to insult you & be mean. That should show you that they were never a member. They are just a leech ,have morals simular to a slug & Feeling like a rock. Don't worry about what they think. We don't need fake members like that. So I say Good Riddance don't let the door hit you in the A** on the way out. From the positive posts on here it should show you that you have followers that care. I wish you all the best. Don't give up.

Hello all,

I have read through the email exchange with the software vendor, but have not taken the time to read all the replies to the original message.    A few items of background for me:  I am an American (Southern California) and work in IT, software specifically.   That said - she behaved like an ass and has never learned the ability to get the actual meaning from a message composed in English by a non-native English speaker.  She also seemed quite incapable of grasping the concept of American copyright law stopping at the border.  While I do not frequent this site as often as I used to(I now own 3 MacBook pro and 1 iMac), OSX Latitude has always been a shining example of class and execution.  My feeling is that while the $500 could be paid today or the link put back, a precedent for irrational behavior on their part has now been set.  I think it best to move on from this software, and have voted to reflect this position.  I do not pretend to understand the work involved, but feel it is unavoidable.

Mark Weitemeyer

• Administrators

Hi Mark,

That "She" happens to be a "He" who also happens to be the CEO of the company - sadly.

If they choose not to accept the offer that i have sent them - then we do have a few options.

1) Logically we will have to find some other software, there is both free.. and not so free options
2) We'll have to migrate all data over there

Basiclly - and this is said thruthfully - i dont give a damn about american laws - i live in EU - we have our own (hell) to deal with over here.

And when it comes to choosing between our users and some CEO in USA - then its a pretty choice to.

I asked him simple questions and reached out for a solution.