Refined ALPS TouchPad driver

Dr. Hurt

yo Dr. Hurt and all parties responsible, i can't thank y'all enough man. i never really reply on threads, but i have no choice but to in this case. after days of searching for a alps driver for my e6520, this is the ONLY one that works. tapping, scrolling, keyboard, everything works. it just combines 3 and 4 finger gestures, it can't tell the difference. but none the less, I'm extremely appreciative.

Latitude e6520

2.49 GHz Intel Core i5

6 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Here's a compiled Version of the ALPS code by Son Vu (sontrg).

It doesn't have any of my fixes or updates yet. Only fixed the compile errors.

V5 users, please tell me if this works.

Jake Lo, please give this a try too.

If this works, I'll be gradually updating it to Linux 4.2, carefully documenting my changes to avoid breaking things like I did before.

Edit: SonVu2 has an extra device id for V5 (they have multiple device ids). Thats the only difference from the last build. Please try this instead.

Just tried your SonVu2 version on an Acer 3820T (running OSX 10.11.3).

Works very well compared to Rehabman's version which has limited ALPS support (jumpy scrolling).

Your version gives me very smooth scrolling vertically and horizontally.

Not sure what version of h/w I have. This is what i see in the logs:

ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint::identify: Found ALPS Device with ID E7=0x73 0x02 0x64, EC=0x88 0x07 0x8a
Two finger scroll works very well.

But I am used to one finger side scroll.

I cannot find any settings in the SysPrefences->Trackpad for enabling one finger scroll.

Cannot find many settings in many of the Info.plist's within the kexts (except for profile of Default or HPQOEM).

Where are the gesture settings (specifically one finger side scrolling) ?

UPDATE:

Never mind. I found another solution...using bpedman's solution https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2545-new-touchpad-driver-for-e6520-alps/&do=findComment&comment=19137- using rehabmanmerge.zip

I don't know how it enables one-finger scroll but it works. In that version, there's no inertia scroll with one finger. Ah well.

Hello, I'm using Sony VAIO VPCEB1Z1E with this touchpad: 

May 11 21:38:12 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint::identify: Found ALPS Device with ID E7=0x73 0x02 0x64, EC=0x88 0x07 0x8a
May 11 21:38:12 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint EC Report: { 0x88, 0x07, 0x8a }

When I try to use your kext I get KP on VoodooPS2Trackpad. All previous versions of PS2 were removed, aslo cache was rebuilt. Can you try to solve this? I'd like to use fresh kext (this).

I rewrote everything from scratch porting things cleanly from Linux 4.7,

tested working great on macOS Sierra (except the base driver problems that have yet to be fixed upstream by RehabMan).

It supports ALPS V1-V5

Give it a try and report how it goes.

Hopefully Jake Lo would give it a try on his many systems

It's still not yet mature. I'd say beta quality. Trackstick code needs a lot of debugging. 

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

• Like 1

• Administrators

Great news to be able to reuse that VoodooPS2Controller. Works perfectly (or near perfectly) with Sierra on my E6220/E6230/E6440 (need to test with EC). Thank you so much Dr Hurt.

A few comments after a 5min(-only) use...:

• no TrackPad PrefPane (blank/empty window when clicking on the icon)
  • 2-finger scrolling works great but no easy possibility to configure single-finger side scrolling
  • ISO parameter might be misplaced. It is set to "true" in default Info.plist yet this does not allow to retrieve [] key to the left of [W] on French AZERTY keyboard like it used to (see here).

I miss the practicality of good old version v1.8.9 that worked perfectly up to 10.11.6.

PS: no VoodooPS2Mouse kext?

Good to hear that :)
Would you mind telling me more:
What OS Version? ALPS Version (Pinnacle, Rushmore) from log or verbose boot? Trackstick tested?

1- Prefpane problem is caused by the RehabMan's base PS2 driver, not ALPS. Once RehabMan finds a fix, I'll apply it.
2- You can easily enable 1-finger scroll: In the info.plist of the trackpad kext, set VerticalScrollDivisor to 13, save and reboot. Ah, I'll look into side scrolling.
3- Same problem. Never looked into it. I focused mainly on porting the ALPS driver.

Edit: I fixed single-finger side scrolling (buggy as hell for now) :D

Once I fix it, I'll upload a new kext with horizontal and vertical single-finger scroll enabled. 

• Administrators

Only tested with Sierra so far. No trackstick on the Dell Latitude E6220 and E6230. There's one on the E6440 and I never use it but it appears non-functional.

Regarding versions:
E6220: V3 Pinnacle, id: E7=0x73 0x02 0x64, EC=0x88 0x07 0x9d
E6230: V3 Rushmore, id: E7=0x73 0x03 0x0a, EC=0x88 0x08 0x1d
E6440: V3 Rushmore, id: E7=0x73 0x03 0x0a, EC=0x88 0x08 0x22

Sierra Tests results:

E6220: Ok, [] Ko, TouchPad lost on wake

E6230: Ok, [] Ko, TouchPad lost on wake

E6440: Ok, [] Ko, TouchPad lost on wake

• Like 1

Beta 2:

- Enabled single finger vertical scroll

- Fixed and enabled single finger horizontal scroll

**will fix trackstick tomorrow if I have time.

Does the sleep issue happen on the Pinnacle system too? Happens with other drivers? I have the same device-id. 

Make sure you don't have duplicate kexts installed. Try loading the kext using Clover instead of installing.

I'll look into it.

Edit: I think I found out where the wake from sleep issue is coming from. On wake, the driver is started before the touchpad is physically powered up so it crashes. (At least thats what I think is happening).

Will add a workaround in Beta 3.

Release 4 Beta 2.zip