D630 with Intel Graphics: sound gone, wifi going weird

tbyers31

Hello,

I've had a successful build of 10.6.7 since May. A few days ago strange things began to happen. I don't know the real cause and effect here, but I can tell you this: I enabled bluetooth to try to play iTunes through a new speaker I bought. Bluetooth loaded, discovered and sync'd up with the speaker, but this is where I think things went weird. My audio seems to have been killed: when I press the volume keys the meter displays but will not change and I get no audible feedback. It just blinks with every key press at the half-way point. The other odd symptom is that when I boot up, the previous airport profile is ignored and the system wants to create "Airport 2" etc. To top it all off, iTunes 10.5 refused to load, crashing at the start.

I believe bluetooth and wifi might be connected in the Dell architecture, and can understand trying to send sound to bluetooth might mess up my audio driver.

I was able to restore iTunes to 10.4.1 from Time Machine. I also upgraded to EDP 1.9 to try to clean up these other issues.

Is this an OSX problem or OSX-on-D630 problem?

Before I start over I thought I would ask. Any ideas?

p.s. I also tried booting from the original snow leopard dvd in order to restore a time machine backup but it won't boot. What is the bootloader option to boot from dvd? (I confirmed I can boot from dvd by booting up a Linux disk, but snow leopard won't.) What am I forgetting?

Thanks!

specs: D630 with Intel Graphics, 4gb ram, 500gb hd, snow leopard 10.6.7, EDP 1.9

try repairing permissions first before going crazy

I repaired permissions (via Disk Utility). The log was substantial it seemed to me but I don't see any difference. The strange behavior of the volume control/no audio is still there.

How do I boot from the DVD so I can restore from Time Machine? (or is there something next that's better and quicker)

• Administrators

did you check your audio settings in system prefs and in midi utility. you can also try removing the bluetooth connection to the speaker and see if that clears it up. supposedly hitting F5 or F10 is suppose to make chameleon scan for drives but i haven't seen it detect a cd in a long while. but it will detect it if your cd is imaged to usb or a partition. i have had weird audio issues like that with my dell 350 BT adapter.... my dell360 definitely works much better with my BT headset... try temporarily shutting off the BT module and see if audio goes back to normal.

did you check your audio settings in system prefs and in midi utility. you can also try removing the bluetooth connection to the speaker and see if that clears it up. supposedly hitting F5 or F10 is suppose to make chameleon scan for drives but i haven't seen it detect a cd in a long while. but it will detect it if your cd is imaged to usb or a partition. i have had weird audio issues like that with my dell 350 BT adapter.... my dell360 definitely works much better with my BT headset... try temporarily shutting off the BT module and see if audio goes back to normal.

Unfortunately not much progress. I'm running boom and installed soundflower recently so I may try removing those to see what happens. I removed the bluetooth associations and disabled bluetooth sharing too. Poking around other osx sites there are troubles with bluetooth and so I was looking for a way to remove or disable the DUNbluetooth service via terminal. nothing yet.

On another note I did manage to boot from my usb and the system sees my time machine (running on freenas) but errors out when I try to connect. There's some issue with this that I have a lead on fixing and will report the results later.

I might reinstall everything but need to figure out what to do with the handful of apps I have first so that I can recover everything.

Time for an update...

Lot's of work, little progress. Finally, I used the System Info tool to find my audio controller vendor and device ids: 8086 and 284b which I managed to add to the Info.plist in VoodooHDA.kext. This makes the volume control work (the slider moves left and right when I press the volume buttons) but I don't get the clicks and can't listen to audio through the speakers. (this is progress from the earlier symptom: pressing volume control would illumine the volume slider but not change the position).

What else is needed to enable audio?

So close and yet so far...

Another update.

Boom is the culprit!

Messing around with audio options I turned Boom volume off and presto... I have audio again!

This is odd because I've had a working Boom sound booster since the beginning. Still it's better than no sound.