SL installation hangs

xlarshn

I'm currently having problems getting OS X Snow Leopard installed on my D630.

I have created the USB installation media based upon my Snow Leopard 10.6.0 retail disc. I have to use a USB flash drive instead of the factory install DVD because I do not have a slimline laptop drive that is capable of reading a DL DVD.

I used Transmac to copy from the factory media, format the USB flash drive, and restore the SL image to the USB flash drive, and then copied over the Extra folder provided on the "Creating a USB Pen Drive" wiki entry at http://www.osxlatitude.com/creating-a-usb-pen-with-osx-installation/

I had to use iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) since I do not currently have a working hackintosh or real Mac computer and subsequently the ability to install chameleon to the USB flash drive.

I used iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) to boot the laptop, select the USB installation drive, and successfully boot into the the OS X installation screen, format the laptop harddrive using the Apple disc utility, and then click continue to proceed with the Snow Leopard installation. I get about 2 minutes into the installation and it appears to just lock up. The touchpad no longer responds and is frozen and there is no disc activity. I have let the laptop set for the better of two hours and still no disc activity and visual progression that the installation has succeeded.

I have tried different USB flash drives (8 and 16 GB) with no apparent impact. The installation always hangs about 1 to 2 minutes into it.

Is there a step I missing here? Any pointers or tips that can be provided?

I have also flashed the BIOS to the latest one listed here: http://www.osxlatitude.com/custom-bios-update-with-slic-apple-logo-and-edps-dsdt/

Edited by xlarshn

I've done that, disabled the wifi in the bios as well as turning of the switch on the side of the laptop. Verified that the SATA setting is AHCI as well as turning off all other items such as the modem and com ports. No luck.

I suspect that I'm not doing something correctly in terms of the installation process / media. I was hoping for a confirmation that the process I used to try to install SL was correct. That is the using of iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) to bring up the laptop and a subsequent handoff to the formated USB flash drive that is essentially stock OS X SL with the addition of the Extra folder off the root drive. Do I need to be doing anything else to that flash drive to enable the installation, such as removing certian kexts, etc.... Am I using the correct Extra folder located at the bottom of this page: http://www.osxlatitude.com/creating-a-usb-pen-with-osx-installation/

Are there certian command line parameters that I should be passing to the OS X installation flash drive via iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded)? Is there a easier process of installing SL given that I don't have access to a running Mac computer?

My specific hardware is as follows:

D630 / Core 2 Duo T7250 2.00 GHz / CRC OSX Bios / Intel 965 Express Graphics / 2gb ram

Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) (rev 0c)

USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)

Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)

SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)

SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)

CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. Cardbus bridge (rev 21)

FireWire (IEEE 1394): O2 Micro, Inc. Firewire (IEEE 1394) (rev 02)

Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)

• Administrators

well what does boot use for com.apple.boot.plist? check the extra folder. maybe you need to rename org.chame.boot.plist or find out what iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) uses. i used iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) maybe twice a long time ago... i don't recall the way to use it.

So I found that TransMac was corrupting my disc image for some reason, or the process I was using was corrupting the disc image. I went and borrowed a friends Mac computer and created the Flash drive per the instructions on the wiki entry.

When I boot using that flash drive I now get an error: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

This is a consistent and reproduceable error, where as before I was getting random lock ups.

Is there anything else I need to be doing to the flash drive other then the following:

Method 1. – Use a retail OSX 10.6.0

Requirements:

1. 8gb USB pen

2. OSX SL 10.6.0 image (not anything higher)

3. a working OSX machine

Howto:

1. Re-partition your usb pen as GUID and Mac OS file system

2. Restore the orginal OSX SL 10.6.0 image to the pen using Disk Utility’s restore function

3. Install the bootloader (attached to post) onto the usb pen – You can download it from below.

(Remember to select correct destination)

4. Extra the extra.zip to the root of the USB drive (attached to post)

5. Boot and install =)

• Administrators

this is normal for dell... ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized. dell never implemented p-c states in there bios... did you add an extra folder to the root for your model to the thumbdrive?

Thanks the tip. That was the problem, that is I was using the Extra folder that was posted on the wiki entry for creating a Flash Drive, instead of the one listed in the supported hardware table.

As of right now I have successfully installed OS X, performed the combo update to 10.6.8, and have run the EDP tool. The only thing I have left to get working is the intel sound. The touchpad is a little jumpy and the "mouse buttons" next to the touchpad do not function correctly.

Any tips on those items much appreciated

I too am getting the:

When I boot using that flash drive I now get an error: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

The extra folder that was put in by os x do you delete it or leave it alone before you unzip the one for my model?

If I leave it the new one becomes Extra 2.