e6220 Yosemite 10.10.5 fresh install - no Audio

moonman

Hi all.

Finally got around to installing Yosemite on my e6220. Downloaded 10.10.5 from App store and followed Herve's fantastic instructions.

Everything went well and when I rebooted in Yosemite everything looked perfect.

Except no Sound. I used Herve's most recent Extra pack and I assume it contains the patched Apple HDA kext. But I have no Sound. Under About This Mac and then under Audio, I have "High Definition Intel Audio" ID audio: 0

I have the same model that Herve has, i.e. with the i5 2520M processor.

One more question:  I had Mavericks on the e6220 before and did a clean install of Yosemite. Under Mavericks, in the Extra folder, there was the Extensions folder and its extensions, obviously.

Now, with Yosemite, I have a 2nd folder in the Extra folder, called SLE, and it's in this folder that I have Apple HDA, as well as AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFS, AppleSDXC, DisableTurboBoostBattery, and IOAHCIFamily kexts.

These include the patched kexts that Herve refers to in his guide.

In the Extra folder, I also have ACPIBatteryManager, AppleIntelE1000e, BCM5722D, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement and VoodooPS2Controller kexts.

I've never seen the SLE folder inside Extra. Is that correct?

Anyway, any help much appreciated.

Again, many thanks to Herve and the staff, the guide is fantastic.

• Administrators

Yes, the SLE folder inside the bootpack means the kexts inside actually go to /S/L/E to replace the vanilla kexts. Otherwise, they do not work, as you've experienced with AppleHDA. Once you've replaced the vanilla AICPUPM kext in /S/L/E by the patched version, you can remove NullCPUPM from /E/E to keep it aside. You'll then be able to run full native CPU speedstep.

DisableTurboBoostBattery and IOAHCIFamily really are optional. The former is to disable CPU turbo boost mode when laptop is running on battery to save it, the latter was used up to 10.10.3 to support TRIM on non-Apple SSD. From 10.10.4, Yosemite provides a built-in command to handle that, so it's no longer required.

Enjoy that little machine, it makes for a great Hackintosh, very fast & responsive, especially with a SSD.

Thanks for the fast reply Herve. So all the kexts that are in that SLE folder inside Extra, I should drag to /S/L/E and replace the ones that are there?

Update: while I was asking I tried, but no luck.

I dragged the Apple HDA from the SLE folder to S/L/E and rebooted, but still no sound.

Re. performance, the e6220 seems faster on Yosemite than Mavericks.  I have an SSD installed and it boots maybe a bit faster on Yosemite, but apps and preferences definitely open faster. Seems all around snappier.

Have to check battery duration now. Was about 5 hours on Mavericks.

• Administrators

Ho ho... if you read the guide with all due attention, you should notice that it's not a simple matter of dragging and dropping kexts from the pack to replace vanilla ones... There are Terminal commands to follow. It's a pretty standard thing that part, nothing new really: it's the kexts permissions repair + bootcache/prelinked kernel update process. Did you do that?

Ho ho... if you read the guide with all due attention, you should notice that it's not a simple matter of dragging and dropping kexts from the pack to replace vanilla ones... There are Terminal commands to follow. It's a pretty standard thing that part, nothing new really: it's the kexts permissions repair + bootcache/prelinked kernel update process. Did you do that?

So the part where you say to Rebuild kext cache?

I did that only when building the USB install disk.

So, should I take the kexts from the Extra/SLE folder and drag them to /S/L/E and then rebuild kext cache using the Terminal commands in your guide?

Should I leave the Extra/SLE folder where it is? With the kexts in it? Or should I remove it afterwards? Do I put the kexts from Extra/SLE into Extra?

Many thanks.

• Moderators

So, should I take the kexts from the Extra/SLE folder and drag them to /S/L/E and then rebuild kext cache using the Terminal commands in your guide?

It's /Extra/Extensions/SLE. Leave the file in /Extra/Extensions as is. Install /Extra/Extensions/SLE to /S/L/E and run the terminal command

sudo chmod -R 755 /S*/L*/E*

sudo chown -R 0:0 /S*/L*/E* 

sudo touch /S*/L*/E*

sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

Should I leave the Extra/SLE folder where it is? With the kexts in it? Or should I remove it afterwards? Do I put the kexts from Extra/SLE into Extra?

Yes, leave the kexts in /Extra/Extensions/SLE there, it won't be read anyway.