Install Windows after OS X

aaalias

There are some files on my "WindowsHD" now. Picture1

If I try to start "Windows" (Picture2) I just get a black screen (Picture3)

If I try to start "Windows NTFS" i will get into the installation process again which i did allready. There are allready about 18GB used by Windows (Picture3/4)

post-82530-0-69084100-1442879499_thumb.jpg

post-82530-0-49724000-1442879554_thumb.jpg

post-82530-0-28977300-1442879657_thumb.jpg

post-82530-0-55451500-1442879726_thumb.jpg

It´s everything working now  :mrgreen:

I choose a wrong format for my Windows Partition before. First it was formated "MS-Dos-Fat32" (that´s the right format). As i tried to intstall Windows I got a message that i need NTFS Format to install Windows. Now you need to open "Options" and format the Disk again. You will get automaticly the right format.

My mistake before: I canceled the installation process. Opened my Mac Disk Utility and formated the Windows Partition to NTFS, that´s not working.

Thanks a lot to Hervé 

• Administrators

Yes, as detailed in post #2 of this thread:

1) you format your target Windows partition/space from OS X as "MS-DOS (FAT)" or "ExFAT"

2) when you begin Windows installation, you 1st reformat that Windows partition as "NTFS"

After a lot of Windows7 Updates i have seen that i´m able to get a free Windows10 Upgrade. I would like to give it a try. 

Error 800703ED on Windows 10 update is caused by dual-booting. 

"I had the same problem, but instead of removing the Linux drive, I just changed the boot order in the bios so that the Windows one took priority. I was then able to update to Windows 10, and then afterwards, I switched the boot order back, and now life is good.

It would seem that Windows just wants to be the default thing that boots on your machine when it upgrades."

If i "diskpart" it again and i install the Windows10 Update could i "diskpart" again on Windows10. Start OSX with ext. HD and install Chameleon again. 

Will this information work out for me? http://www.howtogeek.com/126016/three-ways-to-access-the-windows-8-boot-options-menu/

I downloaded Windows10 now.

First I tried to download via the "Windows10 Upgrade Symbol" in the taskbar. It was loading but the installation process did´t work out (2times). After that i downloaded it directly from Microsoft and the installation process worked out.

I changed the Windows Partition to "active" before (i don't know if it´s necessary, i did it because i got an error trying to update via "Windows10 Upgrade Symbol"). Maybe you don´t need to change it if you download directly from Microsoft what i recommend.

There was no boot sector overwrite or anything else. Chameleon bootloader is working like before.

Is it important which partition is "active"?

I just wanted to add my experience, if it can help. 

I installed El Capitan on my e6220 using Herve's Enoch based installation method. All ok. 

I read on forums that installing Windows 10 after OS X was a bit complicated, you needed Clover, etc. 

I always had perfect dual boots with Mavericks and Windows 7, which was easy. Install Mavericks, update, fine tune, create MS-DOS partition under Mavericks, boot from Windows 7 USB stick, install, update. Then boot from OS X USB installer, complete startup on Mavericks disk, then install Chameleon. 

(as usual, many thanks to Herve, etc. for their great guides). 

With El Capitan and Windows 10, I did something similar. But instead of installing Windows 10 right away, I installed Windows 7, as above, then upgraded to Windows 10. Very smooth and relatively fast over wifi. Then I installed Enoch on my El Capitan partition, and now I have perfect dual boot. 

Requires the extra step of upgrading from Windows 7, but works well. 

• Like 1

Hi everybody! I just want to add my personal experience installing windows 10 after macOS High Sierra in a Latitude E7450. I use clover as bootloader and, after resizing macOS partition, I booted into windows usb stick and installed windows on the created new partition. The best thing is that clover automatically detected the windows partition so I can decide which OS to be booted directly from clover. The only tune I had to do was to unselect windows bootloader from bios (otherwise that will be the default one). Clover is pretty simple to use in this kind of procedure.

Hope to have been useful.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk