E6420 Intel HD3000 - El Capitan ?

br0adband

Well I've been away for some time (started with The OSx86 Project way back in 2005 so it's been a decade now since this all got rolling I suppose) and I've got that old itch again to get involved. I own a Dell Latitude E6420 (duh) but at the moment it's a non-Nvidia GPU model with the following:

- i5-2540m CPU so it has the Intel HD 3000 GPU

- 8GB of RAM

- 500GB Hitachi 7200 rpm hard drive (want an SSD but that has to wait till I hopefully get an Nvidia GPU-based mobo)

- 1600x900 panel

- I have several wireless cards I can make use of, both Broadcom (with BT integrated) and Atheros so I'm guessing one of them should work (factory Intel 6300 but it's removed at the moment in favor of an Atheros)

The rest is the basic hardware I'm sure you're all familiar with. Now, having said that, here's what I'd like to see if I can get on this machine and be as functional as possible:

OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I don't care about any of the older releases, most especially not Yosemite. My fave version was probably Mountain Lion - disclaimer: I can and currently do run Mountain Lion and El Capitan (the GM candidate build 15A282b) in VMware Workstation Pro 12 without many issues but of course it's performance that's subpar compared to what the bare metal hardware would be capable of providing. I know that getting Core/Quartz acceleration could be a problem (meaning it might never work) on the Intel HD 3000 GPU but I'm hoping I can get something out of it.

Since it'll be some time before i can swap out the mobo for one that has a native Nvidia Quadro NVS 4200m I figured I might as well spend it with the work needed to see just how possible things are with the Intel GPU and start taking notes and doing the research now.

Anyway, I did a few searches for e6420 and capitan (since "el" is only two letters and doesn't seem to work as a search term) and came up with zip, nada, nothing. Seems unbelievable so, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone else might be working on such a combination. I know that El Capitan isn't finalized yet (the GM build is a candidate one that could end up being the actual Gold Master but there's two weeks left to catch any showstoppers) and that some things could change between now and whenever and I'm fine with that.

I like El Capitan, it has some features that I find very appealing and I'd really like to give this a shot to see what might happen. Like things were a decade ago, it's something interesting to do with respect to pushing the limits of what my hardware could be capable of.

I don't necessarily care about a dual boot situation (Windows 7 Pro is still my primary day to day OS but I do run several Linux distros in VMs and a dual boot with Linux Mint presently).

If anyone has any advice, experiences (with using El Capitan on an E6420), or suggestions I'm going to check in on this thread daily for a while hoping there's another kindred spirit that might be interested.

Had a chance to get a nearly brand new E7440 maxed out (seriously) in a pawn shop recently for $250 and I just couldn't get the money together, that would have been a great machine to own and I regret missing out on it, but this E6420 is and has been rock solid in the time I've owned it so I know it should be capable of a bit more with respect to El Capitan.

Guess I'll see what happens... ;)

• Administrators

[...]

-battery status works, but wake from sleep does not.

[...]

Check your hibernation mode in Terminal with command:

sudo pmset -g

Make sure to disable hibernation as it's a prerequisite to get sleep & wake to work Ok on a Hackintosh. If you have a sleepimage file in /var/vm, delete it:

sudo pmset hibernatemode 0

sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

For additional tranquility, you may even set your sleep image to null device so that no file ever exists and prevents wake/reboot:

sudo pmset hibernatefile /dev/null

sudo pmset -g

Active Profiles:
Battery Power 1*
AC Power 2
Currently in use:
 hibernatemode        3
 lidwake              1
 halfdim              1
 standbydelay         4200
 ttyskeepawake        1
 sleep                10