E6420 Intel HD3000 - El Capitan ?

br0adband

Dell Latitude E6420:

clean install of el capitan   ( upgrade resulted in kp )

Clover boot loader 3320

Multi-boot (Mac, Linux, Win10) 

attachicon.gifscreenshot001.png

Almost 100%

-battery status works, but wake from sleep does not.

-system has 8GB RAM but is reporting 4GB

Can you share the Posts where you got your Clover Folder, DSDT and Kexts?

I purchased an e6420, and will have it in a couple of days. I am trying to get a head start. 

I am reading many posts, but it seems like info for e6420 is spread across many posts with no definite guide.

Maybe I am wrong?

• Like 1

Well it's been awhile and I gave up on OSX on my Latitude E6420 but of course sooner or later I get the itch to try again and here's where I'm at:

Same laptop from the OP of this thread, only thing that's changed is I put in a Broadcom BCM43228 802.11abgn Wi-Fi card w/Bluetooth 4.0 support, everything else is the same (original Wi-Fi card was the Intel 6300). I'm using a spare 60GB hard drive for testing this and I'm stuck.

I followed the Dell Latitude/Inspiron El Capitan Clover Guide by Jake Lo, made the USB stick without any issues using the El Capitan 10.11.3 installer (just downloaded from Apple earlier today). No issues creating the stick, and I chose to use Clover v3320 because that's what the guide stated - yes I realize there's a newer version I haven't tried yet but I'm not sure the issue I'm having lies with Clover itself.

Anyway, I'm using Legacy mode to boot (not UEFI) as the guide states, I did take note of the additional info in the bootpacks section - the first time I tried to do the stick I was just getting the basic black background from Clover and after redoing things and putting the boot pack files in the proper place (kind of confusing until I re-read it twice and then decided to put the files in where I felt they should be) and after that when I booted the Clover screen showed the Dell Latitude background so that was progress. I chose to boot from the USB stick as expected, everything went fine albeit slow since it's a 5400 rpm 60GB drive that's maybe 7-8 years old or something close to it.

It booted to the OSX installer fine, Disk Utility was used to set up the drive (single partition of course) and then the installation process went fine. After that was done, it rebooted as expected and as the guide said I hit F12 to choose the stick again, chose to boot from the hard drive (named El Capitan) and it went fine until the screen went black, for like 2 minutes with a ton of hard drive activity going on and the USB mouse I had attached was still powered on. After about 2.5 minutes the mouse powered down, the hard drive activity stopped, then I noticed the power button on the laptop was flashing - it went into hibernation and I don't know precisely why.

I did more reading, found something about Slide=0 as a boot argument and Inject Intel so I rebooted off the stick and checked the Clover options which already had those options/boot arguments and tried again (I did a complete reinstall once more, didn't want to have any issues with the potentially hibernated system). Again, same issue: I get the Apple logo, I get the progress bar, I get power to the USB mouse, I get lots and lots of hard drive activity, and then when the screen goes black I get a lot of hard drive activity with the mouse still powered on - this time I moved it every 20-30 seconds hoping it might keep the system awake so it wouldn't hibernate, of course that didn't work either.

Tried a 3rd time (yes, 3rd full clean install) but chose verbose to see what was going on but once it gets to the point where the screen blacks out I obviously can't see anything at all.

So it's going into hibernate mode for some reason and I'm clueless. I used all the BIOS settings that Herve listed in another thread, a perfect match, the only difference is I have an E6420 with an i5-2540 while most people seem to have the Core i5-2520, I don't think that should be causing this issue.

I am taking a break from it to make this post hoping someone might help. I've done searches about the E6420 (and the E6220) regarding hibernation like this during the installation and setup process but I haven't found any useful info.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Months ago I could never get even this far - the USB sticks I created never worked, always got KP's like crazy but this time at least I can (apparently) get the files copied over to the hard drive and then I get stuck because of this power/hibernate issue.

Thanks...

ps

I'm using BIOS A23 from January 2016, don't think it'll matter but who knows.

• Administrators

Guys, if the Clover method appears to be so troublesome, why don't you switch to Enoch with BIOS in legacy mode? When I see the ton of recent posts on getting Clover to work in UEFI mode in these laptops, I can't understand why people stick to a method they clearly don't fully master.

Eureka!!! Progress indeed, I went back and thought about it, did more research and read that other thread (Newb Install Help - E6420 El Capitan) and noticed that person has a similarly configured E6420 (only 4GB of RAM however) but most importantly he/she is using a Core i5-2540 like I am so so so... when I saw that Jake had shared a DSDT for the i5-2540 I grabbed it, replaced the one on my USB stick (in the EFI partition EFI folder) and voila, first attempt got me installed (yes, the 4th full clean install - I'm picky like that) now I'm on the machine making this post.

So far so good, some things didn't/don't work just yet, I haven't gotten to the additional steps in the installation guide (starting with the EFI-Mounter step just before step 8) but I'm rather happy to have made it this far finally. After releasing the world's first generic DVD installer for OSx86 back in 2005 it's been a long time since I've had any real fun with OSX overall. It runs fine in a VM on this same laptop without issues but of course the performance is lackluster at best and no QE/CI in the VM but it appears to work well so far as I can tell on the bare metal hardware. Yes I wish I had the Nvidia GPU in this E6420 but for now things are great.

Had to get rid of the Broadcom Wi-Fi/BT card, didn't get recognized so I put in an Atheros 802.11n I had laying around and it works fine so far as pictured below. Audio hardware shows up in the hardware info, but of course it's not actually functional at the moment so, more work to do. Still booting off the stick to the hard drive for the moment, working on getting Clover installed to the hard drive but, at least I know it's working.

As someone that's been part of The OSx86 Project since almost day one I have to say it's pretty cool how things have progressed over the years, and I offer my thanks to those that are far more into things here at this forum for Latitude owners like myself (my preferred brand and model of laptop for a long long time now) as well as those at other locations that continue to keep "OSx86" in the limelight making it useful for those of us that just don't care to own "a real Mac..." for whatever reasons we have. :D

One question if anyone can answer it:

I see two updates on the App Store, one is the Digital Camera RAW Update that shouldn't cause any issues but the other one is a MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.7 that could seriously wreck things on a Hackintosh like this one just getting started - anyone know if it's "safe" to install that or should I just hold off. I'd hate to get things set up nicely and working then trash everything and have to start over again. I suppose I could do a full backup here in a bit to another hard drive, probably will considering the effort I've expended just to get this far but if anyone knows for sure I'd appreciate a nod in the right direction.

Screen_Shot_2016_03_15_at_3_23_43_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_03_15_at_3_31_04_AM.png

As for switching to some other method, well, I just got success and it wasn't because of Clover - it was because I hadn't found (at least not at that point) the proper DSDT for this E6420 of mine because the overwhelming majority of people have the i5-2520 and I and maybe one or two other people appear to have the i5-2540 so, it mattered.

Since I've had some success now I'll look into other methods and see how things work if I need to. Right now I just need to get the remaining components functional and I'm good to go. Never even heard of Enoch before your post, so don't blame people for trying to learn new stuff - that's where the mastery comes from. ;)