E6420 Intel HD3000 - El Capitan ?

br0adband

Bleh, everything I said (in the post that I just edited/deleted) was a mistake on my part, my apologies.

Herve, what you said is completely accurate: the DSDT.aml was just to address the fact that I have a 1600x900 panel, nothing to do with the CPU. I don't know why a GPU issue was pushing my E6420 into hibernation but it doesn't matter at this point as it's working with that Dual Link aspect.

Aside from the low headphone volume things are going well.

I installed the latest VoodooHDA and yes it did help with the volume but on some occasions the sound will just "die" totally for no reason I can figure out but it's an improvement and just another baby step I suppose.

My issue now is getting it to boot from the hard drive, still doing research but after a dozen attempts now I'm starting to get somewhat pissed.

- boots from the USB stick fine without any issues (F12, USB stick, boot El Capitan (from the hard drive) = success every time

- installed Clover v3354 as instructed in the guide, copied the EFI folder intact from the USB stick's EFI partition to the EFI partition on the hard drive

- verified that the EFI partition on the hard drive is FAT16 since the E6420 can't see it otherwise

- attempt to boot the laptop from the EFI partition on the hard drive

- never works

I'll keep trying and changing things a step at time but, it sure does seem rather problematic at this point. I know Herve mentioned something about Enoch but I haven't done anything related to that method yet, guess I'll get there at some point.

And yes, I've followed those instructions on how to get it to look for the file in EFI/BOOT/ but still nothing, it just hangs and then pops up the error about no bootable device found, ugh.

So I suppose now is as good a time as any to just flat out ask this question:

Can the E6420 boot from the EFI partition on the hard drive with Clover, or must I look for an alternative method like Enoch - if Clover can work and I just haven't put the pieces together yet then I'll keep at it, but if this is not going to work at all then I'd appreciate knowing if anyone has that info.

I'm going under the assumption that yes people have their E6420 laptops working just fine booting from the hard drive, no USB stick required anymore.

• Moderators

Using UEFI for this model has not work for me even after formatting to Fat16. It just hang when I select Bootx64.efi from the BIOS. So I stick with Legacy.

Installing Clover with the following setting works.

For Exx20 (SandyBridge models), use Legacy - GUID Scheme. Not UEFI

• Install Clover in the ESP
  • Bootloader/Install boot0af in MBR
  • CloverEFI/CloverEFI 64-bits SATA

By the way Enoch is a different branch of Chameleon. 

Yah, it's working now, started over for like the 12th time and just gave up on the EFI aspects, so far no issues noted. Installed VoodooHDA and aside from it not respecting the volume control in the menubar (which I think I just discovered a fix for with the plist edit) so, it's all good.