Dell E6420 Kernel Panic

retrospock

Hey guys,

before I start I just want to say you're all doing a great job; keep doing what you're doing!

I'm new to the Hackintosh scene and I'm having difficulty getting Yosemite installed on my Dell E6420

Laptop specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2620M @ 2.70GHz

Ram: 8GB

Bios: Version A04

Video: NVIDIA N12P-NS2

I'm getting the following Kernel Panic after following this guide:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7478-dell-latitude-e6xxxe7xxx-yosemite-install-guide/

post-83216-0-87848900-1442688026_thumb.jpg

After some research I believe it has something to do with VRAM or the NVIDIA chip, but that's as far as I can understand.

I've tried various boot flags as suggested in other posts but with no joy. (I get to the same point with or without flags, by the way)

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

• Moderators

Are you installing with Optimus Enable or Disable?

Make sure to use the correct DSDT depending on what you select.

If you do have NVS4200m, I think it'll be best to disable Optimus and use Wern's DSDT since he was able to get sleep to work with it.

Update:  * Wern has a DSDT for Nvs4200M that has sleep/wake working. See here.

Make sure to set the BIOS accordingly. Best result is to set BIOS to 'Load Default', hit apply, and then got to SATA Operations and set it to AHCI.

Oh and under video, make sure Optimus is uncheck.

Hi thanks for getting back to me Bronxteck

Dart appears twice (I'm assuming) because it's probably enabled by default with Chameleon and I apply it as a bootflag.  I didn't notice it but I doubt having two null bootflags would affect anything (could be wrong!)

I haven't touched any kexts, and I'm not sure what p and c states are?

I did get an 'unsupported' error while generating the SSDT for my CPU, I specified -p because I'm doing it for a different machine.

• Administrators

No, "dart=0" is not a default Chameleon settings. You obviously have that configured in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist in /Extra. Check that file, it may have other options that cause trouble.

If you generated your CPU-specific SSDT from a different machine, I'd say look not further. Remove that table from your E6420 as it's probably incorrect. You can safely boot without it, either with patched AICPUPM kext or with NullCPUPM. Once you'll have booted your E6420 to OS X desktop, then you'll be able to generate your SandyBridge-related SSDT.

Inside my org.chameleon.Boot.plist is the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DSDT</key>
<string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>
<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1366x768x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 dart=0</string>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
<key>SystemType</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I didn't set anything in there (knowingly)