Dell Latitude e6440 i7-4600M with Intel HD 4600M - HDMI hangs

abrellm

Hi everyone,

I've just managed to setup Mavericks 10.9.4 (and then upgraded to 10.9.5) following this guide:  

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7387-dell-latitude-e6440-with-i5-4300m-hd4600-and-1600x900-lcd-mavericksyosemite/

All is working well (Intel HD 4600M with QE/CI) and I have used the DSDT in the post together with SSDT that was generated for my i7. 

However unlike the author of the post (Herves), I can't manage to connect a HDMI output to my e6440. The moment I connect the HDMI, the computer freezes up. And if I reboot with the HDMI connected, I will not be able to reboot successfully.

The post above mentions something about a patched Azul frame buffer - and I have gone to https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.shand ran the patch against my AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext by running...

sudo ~/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul,sh 0x0a260006 show 

and then selected Patch to patch it. Rebooted but the issue still remains.

I've tried searching for other posts about this issue and it always seem to suggest that the Framebuffer needs to be patched.

Would appreciate any guidance at all on this matter.

Thank you!

Hi Jake,

Thank you for the response. I patched it but the issue still remains. I am not sure if I patched it correctly though.

I patched it by using 0xED via finding and replacing as well as using the perl method.

I attach both the original AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext and the patched one with this post.

Some additional info...

I have deployed the patched version using multiple ways....

1. Just copy and paste the patched file over the original file in S/L/E

2. Did step 1 and then run myFix 

3. Copied the patched file into the Extra/Extensions folder and then using myHack to Install Extra into the system.

I'm not sure which is the best way to deploy the patch. Appreciate your guidance as well.

Thank you again!

patched.zip

original.zip

Thank you Jake. 

I didn't manage to test the patch you made but I decided to re-setup with Yosemite and the kexts in the post did the trick. 

I can now hot plug and unplug HDMI. The issue now is when I plug in the HDMI cable, the display is only shown on the TV and my notebook display will be blank. Opening up Displays preferences only shows the TV panel with no options to mirror or extend desktop.

The system will also not boot up if the HDMI is connected. 

Is this the expected behaviour?

Hi Jake or Forum Admin,

I discovered that the 10.10.5_AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext shared in the following locked thread was not fully patched hence giving some issues when hot plugging the HDMI.

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7387-dell-latitude-e6440-with-i5-4300m-hd4600-and-1600x900-lcd-mavericksyosemite/

I've patched it completely and put it here. Since the thread is locked, could you update the locked thread with this updated kext? I found that thread tremendously useful and have guided me to successfully setup Yosemite on my Dell E6440. I am sure it would be a great help to anyone who wants to setup Yosemite on their Dell E6440.

I also included my SSDT that works with the Core i7-4600M CPU that's on my laptop. The one on the thread was for the Core i5.

Thanks

SSDT.zip

AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext.zip