USB 3.0 on 10.10.5?

abrellm

Hi everyone,

I've got 10.10.5 installed successfully on my Dell E6440 Core i7-4600M following Herve's excellent thread for setting up Mavericks and Yosemite on the Dell E6440.

However, it seems that I am only getting USB 2.0 working... I've tried:

1. Running System Report shows that my USB is "USB Hi-Speed" which as I understand it to be USB 2.0. See attached screenshot.

2. I've also connected an external HDD which runs with blue led when its USB 3.0 and white when its USB 2.0. When I connect it to my Dell, I am only seeing a white led...

I've checked around the internet and it seems so far people are getting USB 3.0 (USB Super Speed) by using the GenericUSBXCHI.kext which I have been using as well. 

Can anyone let me know if they have got USB Hi-Speed or USB Super-Speed on their System Report? And if you have Super-Speed, can you let me know if there was anything special you did to get that working?

Thank you in advance.

post-61144-0-74485300-1443414617_thumb.png

• Administrators

No, but I can't upgrade BIOS (stuck to A07) without getting IT Dpt involvement...

Try to install Rehabman's latest GenericUSBXHCI kext (v1.2.9) and check in your SysPref if it loads; if it does not, you may try to modify the Info plist of the kext to change IOPCIClassMatch set to 0x0c033000 to IOPCIMatch set on 0x8c2d8086 and 0x8c268086.

Tried with GenericUSBXHCI kext above and updating the info.plist but still didn't work. 

It seems AppleUSBEHCI.kext is always loaded as the USB Controller.

I've also tried removing AppleUSBEHCI.kext from the plugins inside IOUSBFamily.kext (to try to force it to use the GenericUSBXHCI,kext) but that stopped all the Bluetooth and USB related devices as well and running kextstat does not indicate that GenericUSBXHCI is loaded.

Appreciate any more ideas/things I can try to make this work....