Some questions about installing OS X on Dell Vostro 200

madorean

I have this Vostro 200 lying around and would like to install OS X on it. I started looking into it a couple of days ago and so far this is the best guide I have found. Thank you, you have spared me hours of resarch. Since I am a complete noob, I have some questions about the pre-installation process:

1) myHack only gives me options until 10.9 Mavericks. I do have this OS and can start from there, however I was planning to use Yosemite instead. Should I install Mavericks first, then when everything is working, update to Yosemite by copying the installation media to the desktop and running it?

2) Is there a way to skip Mavericks install and just install Yosemite instead?

3) If so, how would I go about that since myHack doesn't give me an option to create a USB for 10.10 Yosemite?

Thank you.

It seems that it is not possible to upgrade a Mavericks system to Yosemite because Mavericks uses Chameleon and Yosemite needs Clover. So I guess I need to ditch myHack and use an install process like this one instead:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7478-dell-latitude-e6xxxe7xxx-yosemite-install-guide/&do=findComment&comment=45213

I wonder if there is a similar guide for a Dell Vostro 200 though...

Thanks for replying. That seems to be the guide to install Mavericks using myHack. I would like to install Yosemite instead, which myHack does not seem to support? So I understand that Yosemite can be installed by following the guide below, except that I should use MBR instead of GUID when formatting the USB Stick?

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7478-dell-latitude-e6xxxe7xxx-yosemite-install-guide/&do=findComment&comment=45213

System: Dell Vostro 200

BIOS: 1.0.16 Standard (settings changed according to guide)

Mobo: Foxconn G33M02

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53GHz

Memory: 4GB DDR2 @ 800MHz

Graphics: NVidia GeForce 8600 GTS (This is set as primary graphics in BIOS)

I was able to install Yosemite 10.10 by following that guide ( http://forum.osxlati...ide/#entry45213 ), with some minor tweaks and I now have a Vostro 200 booting on its own to Yosemite. First, I used Chameleon and I formatted the USB with MBR instead of GUID. After the USB Boot drive was done, I was getting an error about mach_kernel missing when booting from it. I modified the org.chameleon.boot.plist and replaced this:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string> 

with this:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel</string> 

The main HDD was also formatted MBR before install from USB. A couple of more things weren't working, I can't remember all but i was able to fix them by searching google. The weird thing is that I couldn't find NullCPUPowerManagement.kext specified on the guide, in either the main HDD or the USB. That's probably why I was getting a KP error about HPET. I was able to get around that by deleting the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement but i read now that this should have been fixed by adding the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext instead?

I am a little confused with this NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and the reason why I don't have it on my Yosemite install. What would happen if I tried to update to Yosemite 10.10.5 without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext on my system at all? Does this kext take care of handling the power management (stand by, sleep, etc)?

Thanks...Do you mean that i have to copy the patched kernel for 10.10 and add it to the Kernels folder of my USB Install (overwriting the old file), then move the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext I deleted earlier back to the USB as well and then re-install Yosemite from scratch? Just double-checking because this is all new to me.

• Moderators

NullCPUPowermanagement does exactly what the name implies. It just prevents the system from KP without the patched AICPUPM. You don't need the patched kernel, just the patched AICPUPM installed to the Installed drive and repair permission. You could just use NULLCPU on your installer as it doesn't need power management during install. 

No need to reinstall, just make sure to install the correct patched version for your OS X version.