My Experience of Snow Leopard Installation on D530

hdz

This is my first post. Long time lurker first time poster. First of all big THANK YOU for all the hard work that OSXLatitude team put into to this to make installing OSX on latitude so streamlined. Please keep up the all good work! I am sure thousands of latitude owners have the same feeling as mine.

I want to share some of my experience with Dell Latitude D530. I didn't see too many posts about this model which is why I want to point out a few things that I found different from what the wiki page says.

1. I tried to use the d530 boot pack and the original boot pack (extra.zip) from the "Creating a USB pen with OSX installation" post. Neither one was able to boot up a vanilla 10.6.0 installation USB stick which I used for D620 and D630 with no problem. However, with "-x -v -f" flag I was able to boot up to installation screen using the extra.zip from "Creating a USB pen" page. Installation runs about 25-30 minutes.

2. Once the installation is done the first restart requires "-x -v -f" again or I would either have blank screen or kernel panic.

3. EDP 1.9.1 with 10.6.7 works flawlessly. But when install EDP, you need to use ApplePS2Controller instead of "VoodooPS2Controller-debug" as described in "Supported Models" page. ApplePS2Controller supports both the keyboard and the touchpad.

4. The bootpack (extra.zip) in "Supported Models" has a screen resolution of 1400x1050x32 instead of 1024x768x32. I guess there is a model with higher resolution and mine came with regular XGA screen. I don't think this makes any difference but I changed my com.apple.boot.plist file to 1024x768x32.

5. For the wifi, Dell DP1395 is a great choice. Just add the device ID pci14e4,4315 in System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist and it is good to go.

6. After update, the audio need voodooHDA kext. Download the latest from http://code.google.com/p/voodoohda/downloads/list

Over all, the use of EDP is still so much easier than doing the whole thing from scratch. Thank you guys!

Oh, my D530 comes with T7500 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 160GB HD, XGA LCD, Dell 1395 Wifi and DVD-RW.

Hello,

Just wondering if you were able to get full QE/CI with your 530 (as evidenced by a translucent menu bar)? I have the same configuration as you (i.e. 1024x768 resolution), but no QE/CI. Apple System Profiler reports "No Kext Loaded". I have tried 10.6.3 and 10.6.8, with no success for either. Additionally, I tried to use alternative GMAX3100 kexts, but this did not help matters.

Any suggestions that you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!