Which Dell shall I take?

Psycho

Hello there!

I'm fairly new to the OSX86 and Hackinosh scene, and currently I'm in the stage of information-gathering. So, about the topic.

Once I've had a D630 (T9300/2GB/160GB/nV Quadro 135M) which was one of my favorite notebooks so far. In fact, I decided to sell my current Lenovo and get a Latitude once again.

And then came the sudden idea of the OS X - is it possible to have it on the D630? Luckily, I found this forum and now I'm hoping to get loads of useful information here.

As of now I haven't bought it, and my questions sound like this:

-Which model shall I buy? The GMA-equipped one or the nV Quadro-equipped one? Is there ANY problem with one or the another? Which one would you recommend and why? Any trouble with the GMA one particurarly? I'm aware of the heating problems of the nV Quadro one.

-Let's say the machine is found and bought, next question: Snow Leopard or Lion? I'd rather go with the Lion if it hasn't got any downsides. If yes, what are they? Any things which recommend using Snow Leo?

-Alright, step three: OS is chosen, what next? I'm quite confused looking all these DSDT and kernel things (never used a UNIX-based OS before). What are they basically, and why are they needed? What's this EDP?

-As far as I know, OS X not uses BIOS, it uses something else instead. Is the program named Chameleon that (or it's hacked equivalent)?

-If I'm not mistaken, I have to install the system from an USB thumb. Is there a method to prepare a 10.7 installer on Windows?

-Right, so let's imagine that all of the problems listed above are solved, what next, how to install? Is there a step by step guide for newbies like me?

-Post-installation: what should I do, what's recommended? There are some problems with sleep/wireless/LAN/sound/etc. on other Hackintosh machines, are there any of these problems present on the D630? If yes, what can I do about them?

-Last, but definetly not least: I think I must change the WiFi card if I want to have wireless on OS X. Is it true? If so, what make should I choose, which works flawlessly?

I think that's all for now.

As I said before, I'm a total noob, so please bear with me. If there is some material which I haven't found and therefore haven't read (and asking trivial questions) please link them to me, I'd be happy to read them.

Anyway, big thanks and kudos to everyone, who has the patience to answer me.

Best regards,

Psycho

PS: please forgive me my english, it's not my native language and I've started to learn it three years ago. So there may be some grammatical and vocabular errors in it. Hope it's understandable though.

Hello there!

I'm fairly new to the OSX86 and Hackinosh scene, and currently I'm in the stage of information-gathering. So, about the topic.

Once I've had a D630 (T9300/2GB/160GB/nV Quadro 135M) which was one of my favorite notebooks so far. In fact, I decided to sell my current Lenovo and get a Latitude once again.

And then came the sudden idea of the OS X - is it possible to have it on the D630? Luckily, I found this forum and now I'm hoping to get loads of useful information here.

As of now I haven't bought it, and my questions sound like this:

-Which model shall I buy? The GMA-equipped one or the nV Quadro-equipped one? Is there ANY problem with one or the another? Which one would you recommend and why? Any trouble with the GMA one particurarly? I'm aware of the heating problems of the nV Quadro one.

-Let's say the machine is found and bought, next question: Snow Leopard or Lion? I'd rather go with the Lion if it hasn't got any downsides. If yes, what are they? Any things which recommend using Snow Leo?

-Alright, step three: OS is chosen, what next? I'm quite confused looking all these DSDT and kernel things (never used a UNIX-based OS before). What are they basically, and why are they needed? What's this EDP?

-As far as I know, OS X not uses BIOS, it uses something else instead. Is the program named Chameleon that (or it's hacked equivalent)?

-If I'm not mistaken, I have to install the system from an USB thumb. Is there a method to prepare a 10.7 installer on Windows?

-Right, so let's imagine that all of the problems listed above are solved, what next, how to install? Is there a step by step guide for newbies like me?

-Post-installation: what should I do, what's recommended? There are some problems with sleep/wireless/LAN/sound/etc. on other Hackintosh machines, are there any of these problems present on the D630? If yes, what can I do about them?

-Last, but definetly not least: I think I must change the WiFi card if I want to have wireless on OS X. Is it true? If so, what make should I choose, which works flawlessly?

I think that's all for now.

As I said before, I'm a total noob, so please bear with me. If there is some material which I haven't found and therefore haven't read (and asking trivial questions) please link them to me, I'd be happy to read them.

Anyway, big thanks and kudos to everyone, who has the patience to answer me.

Best regards,

Psycho

PS: please forgive me my english, it's not my native language and I've started to learn it three years ago. So there may be some grammatical and vocabular errors in it. Hope it's understandable though.

I am newbie too, started here two weeks ago. Do lots of reading. This is by far the best site for Latitude model.

All your questions are answered in wiki=home page=osxlatitude.com . You might as well start with Lion, I found the install/post install really easy. Even sleep worked right away in Lion, but not SL.

I have D620 model, worked well with SL and Lion.

nVidia Quadro and Intel GMA have their pros and cons. In Lion, the GMA model has a few bugs (Currently, brightness has been fixed) but it does have more video ram and has Quartz Extreme out of the box. On Snow Leopard it is perfect. nVidia doesn't have any bugs, just lower video ram and lacks Quartz Extreme out of box, but EDP fixes that.