Looking for help to install El Capitan on Dell E6230

dbanga

I checked out the clover Yosemite guide, but running into a problem, that yosemite installer is no longer available.

Realisticly I have no idea what I'm doing, a need a newbie guide.

I have setup for a virtual box mavericks, wondering if I could make a USB boot drive using windows.

Any help?

Thanks for the info. So my next question may already be addressed elsewhere on this forum. If so, could you please redirect me? How do I Purchase and Download El Capitan if I do not have a Mac? I have access to a Mac. A friend's computer. I do have my own Apple ID, though. Do I log into my friend's computer with my own Apple ID and then purchase from the Apple Mac Store and download? Can it be easily transferred as a file to a USB dongle?

Thanks!

• Administrators

You download EC from AppStore using a system running OS X (SL 10.6.8 being the minimum version). OS X has been free of charge since Mavericks...

You'll need to be logged in AppStore using a valid Apple id; whether it's yours or your friend's is irrelevant. You'll obtain the downloaded app in the Applications folder under the name "Install OS X El Capitan". This app file can just be copied/transferred to any media, whether a disk, a USB key or even a SD card for instance.

It really is just plain bog standard common sense and explained... on Apple's web site! http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

• Like 1

• Moderators

Just to be clear, just copying the app to an USB will not make it bootable. If you're planning to use it to build a Hackintosh in this model, you'll have to either use CreateInstallMedia or follow some of the few methods to create a bootable media, Install Clover or Chameleon loader and add a bootpack.

See my Clover guide as an example