Looking for help to install El Capitan on Dell E6230

dbanga

Well, I went ahead and re-installed the whole thing. The first error I get is when copying kexts from /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other/LE to /Library/Extensions of Macintosh SSD

after pasting them into /Library/Extensions, I get a system warning saying "System Extension cannot be used. The system extension "/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_IDT.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update. 

Any suggestions? Thank you so much for hanging in there with me throughout this process!

As I was doing this: 7. Repair permission and rebuild cache. Run command from terminal

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*
      sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*
      sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
      sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
      sudo touch -f /L*/E*
      sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
      sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

I got the following error:

MacBook-Air:~ edgar$ sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*

MacBook-Air:~ edgar$ sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*

MacBook-Air:~ edgar$ sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*

MacBook-Air:~ edgar$ sudo touch -f /L*/E*

MacBook-Air:~ edgar$ sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*

MacBook-Air:~ edgar$ sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

rebuilding //System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

kext file:///Library/Extensions/DisableTurboBoostBattery.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext AppleHDA_IDT.kext

File at path '/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel' changed, cannot be used

Child process /usr/sbin/kextcache[1094] exited with status 77.

Error 107 rebuilding /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

MacBook-Air:~ edgar$ 

MacBook-Air:~ edgar$

Any suggestions of what is causing this problem?

The first error I get is when copying kexts from /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other/LE to /Library/Extensions of Macintosh SSD

after pasting them into /Library/Extensions, I get a system warning saying "System Extension cannot be used. The system extension "/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_IDT.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update. 

I got the same warning now for "Library/Extensions/DisableTurboBoostBattery.kext"

Any suggestions? Thank you so much for hanging in there with me throughout this process!

• Administrators

It's perfectly normal to get error messages for each kext you copy to /L/E or /S/L/E telling you that the files were improperly installed. That's because those kext files must have specific rights (=permissions) to be used. That's why you have to enter the chmod and chown commands; these repair permissions.

The other touch and kextcache commands are for rebuilding the kext cache and prelinked kernel. In order to avoid the error regarding prelinked kernel, you can re-run the last 2 commands or replace:

sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

by

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

You're obviously new to all this, so please don't hesitate to read up about hackintoshing on the many numerous sites so that you actually understand the various actions you undertake.

Thanks, guys. I am new at this, but determined to learn and get it right. I got it to boot by hitting F12. When the boot menu comes up, I was wrongly choosing my USB drive in the Legacy Boot list. Instead, I arrowed down to the UEFI BOOT: option and clicked the one option it was showing me, which has my USB drive's name attached to it. Then it starts to boot from clover, which is installed on the USB drive.

My problem now is a repeated one I have been having. After installing clover, post install of El Capitan, to my Mac SSD, when I reboot it will not boot from the internal drive, if I take out the USB disk. If I remove the USB boot disk I created and reboot the computer, I get:

No Bootable Devices- Strike F1, Press F2..., Press F5...

It will only boot into clover if I have the USB Boot Disk plugged in. BUT even stranger is that after a few reboots, the option within clover (booted from USB, not internal drive for some reason) to boot into OSX on my internal drive is gone. It does not appear in the Clover boot menu anymore. The only options that appear are:

- Boot Mac OSX from Install OSX El Capitan (USB drive)

- Boot Mac OSX from Recovery HD

- Boot Recovery from Recovery HD

I have started the whole installation process over several times in order to iron out the wrinkles and get it right. I start by erasing the internal hard drive, as suggested. Then I go through all the steps. I always seem to end up losing the option in Clover to boot into the local HD with Mac OSX and also I end up only being able to boot into clover if I have the USB disk plugged in.

Any troubleshooting tips?

Thank you!

• Moderators

Check your BIOS, make sure you have UEFI enabled.

You could also, in the BIOS, under UEFI, add a boot option. Labeled it Clover (whatever you want), boot option, click to browse to EFI/Clover/Cloverx64.efi. Then move the boot option to the Top of the list. Apply and reboot.

OK, good suggestion. I went in to the bios and added a UEFI boot option for Clover and what seems to be happening is that it does not see clover on the Mac SSD.

I hit F2/Settings/Boot Sequence

I add Boot Option

Boot Option Name: Clover

File System List: I leave that section as is (correct?) doesn't look as if I can change that anyway.

File Name: takes me to EFI Boot Selection menu. Under file system: I choose FS0

Directories says EFI and I click on it.

Now directory says only 'APPLE'. There is no Clover. 

That's what's happening when I remove the USB disk. When I add the USB disk, FS0 becomes the USB disk and I indeed see a clover folder and app in there. I know I did install clover locally. 

Again, now when I boot into the USB disk's clover, I no longer see an option in the menu to boot from my local Mac SSD. It disappeared. 

This is a loop I am in. I always get to this same problem point. I have ironed out all the other issues (except things like the audio wasn't working, which I will work on when I can once again boot into the local SSD OSX)

So I am not sure why clover has disappeared from the internal SSD or why the internal drive is not being shown as a boot option when I boot through clover on the USB disk. 

Suggestions? Thank you!