Dell Latitude E6220

Leon

Don't know if this is the post to ask for help but here I go...

I was able to create the boot USB using myHack. I got to the Language select menu. But after that I get an error window. I was able to save the log. Hope it helps.. Thank you for everything. I appreciate all the work that is done here. It's amazing.

Hope you all are having a nice day.. 

My system is a Dell Latitude E6220.

Installer Log 29-Mar-2015.txt

Can you supply error from the window when it crashed?

Try booting in verbose mode -v -f.

did you apply myhack mbr patch while making the installer? it's know to get stuck after language selection.

Thank you both! I ended up remaking the installer. Making sure I didn't miss anything. I guess I didn't apply MBR patch properly. Ooooops. Then I ran using -v -f.  Successs!!

Everything running smoothly. Using a Mini USB WiFi Dongle cause the WiFi card on my system doesn't work. 

This has been fun!

Now if only I could get iMessage running.. Hmmm. Haha.

Just got an E6220 with the specs in Jake Lo's signature - except A01 bios...Dell website has A13 and I assume I should just update to that.

Being new to this, what is my safest bet to get up and running? I've read this thread and a bunch more of this site and feel like I understand the gist, but I'm no computer expert and would like to take the path of least resistance the first time around.

- 10.9.5 is my plan - looks safer than trying 10.10 and I haven't seen anything suggesting earlier 10.9 version would be better

- use "Mavericks" link in Jake Lo's signature ("Extra_Mav.zip") or would a previous file in this thread be better like Extra_E6220_Mav.zip that's "tuned" for E6220 i5 2520M, which is what I have (I can't tell if Extra_Mav.zip is, too)

- MBR? This computer had windows on it and I added Ubuntu dual boot on a new partition to have something useful until I get OSX on it :) I assume it's best to find a way to just format the whole drive to HFS first and choose no for MBR.

I'm planning to follow the directions here http://www.osxlatitude.com/edp/documentation/pre-installation/with 10.9.5.dmg & one of the extras files listed above and that should  be all I need, right? (for instance, OP mentions needing old version of Chameleon)

Thanks in advance! You guys clearly have a ton of expertise and I appreciate the help.

• Moderators

OP guide started with Lion at the time. With Mavericks, no need. MyHack has it's own version of Chameleon that will boot up to Mavericks 10.9.5, so no need to change version.

Follow the installation guide to create the installer, don't format to MBR when asked, it doesn't work well. This means you'll have to find an MBR patch on the net or switch to GUID. The Maverick bootpack from my signature should be fine, it's tweaked to MBP 8.1. After creating the installer, run myHack again and select install Extra, point to the downloaded bootpack. This should get you going. Post any issue you might encounter. Yes, BIOS A13 is fine.

You could find a more recent guide here for Yosemite and Mavericks by Herve.

I want to share that I successfully installed MacOS X Yosemite 10.10.5 on E6220 with Intel 2.7GHz Core i7-2620M , 4GB RAM and 128GB Samsung SSD.

It took me couple of days reading, trying and breaking it, but here is the road to success:

I followed this guide: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7395-guide-dell-latitude-e6x20-yosemite-install/

However, the bootpack didn't work and I used the Clover bootpack from the main website: http://www.osxlatitude.com/edp/compatibility/

This one didn't work either :? , but I found a workaround by adding all kexts from this guide: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7914-dell-latitude-e6220-with-intel-i5-2520m-hd3000-and-1366x768-lcd-mavericksyosemite/

to the following folder of the USB - EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10/

Then USB booted and I installed with no issues using touchpad and laptop keyboard. :mrgreen: 

I experienced many troubles getting system to boot without USB and found that Yosemite likes to make a logical volume and this confuses Clover Installer.

So, I used the following command line:

sudo diskutil corestorage revert /

and then followed Fabio78's Step 4 Post-Installation and now MacOS X boots from the SDD  :-P

Now, I am waiting for compatible wi-fi card to arrive and I will start to study the system and follow instructions to install sound and other fine tuning.

I am very pleased that I managed to finish with the hardest part  :rolleyes: