E6230 i7-3540 - Clover El Capitan install issue

Snookiwooki

Herve,

Thanks, will have a read but still a little confused as I have never done this before (sorry rather a noob on this) - do I need to perform both DSDT editing (am I changing what is already there for the wireless card or adding something new) and the binary patching of the BCM4360 kext?

My 6230 is configured as a MacBookAir5,2 SMBIOS as I have a DW1520 at present.

It definitely has Dell DW1550 on the label and is a half mini PCI-E, the 1560 is listed as having a different interface NGFF M.2 - so possibly a variant.

Cheers

-Steve

• Administrators

I just checked wikidevi and, indeed, DW1550 also has device id 43b1. The info I initially had in the wireless device table was therefore erroneous and I've corrected it.

Unless you opt for Jake's suggested FakePCIID's approach, you'd need the DSDT patch to avoid patching the kext's info plist and you'd also need the binary kext to circumvent Mac model whitelisting if you want to use a SMBIOS other than MAB5,1. Normally, you'd want MBP9,2 SMBIOS on your E6230.

• Administrators

MBP9,2 is much closer to the E6230 in terms of specifications than the MBA5,2. As such, things like CPU power management or AGPM can work a lot better for instance. OS X tends to handle these items on a model by model basis.

Thank you again Herve,

I have decompiled the dsdt.aml and imported the .dsl into MaciASL but don't see where I paste the patch...the guides I see mention downloading a patch from a source repo...

The binary editing is no issue as I have been doing this since having a BBC Micro and writing 6502 assembler, yes many many years ago,

Am I barking up the wrong tree in thinking it is possible to "just" edit the info.plist in the kext within

System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext
Contents/Plugins/AirportBrcm4360.kext
Contents/Info.plist

And add a new entry under key IONameMatch for <string> pci14e4,43b1 </string>

Thanks

-Steve

• Administrators

To edit your DSDT, you must first use IORegistryExplorer (or any other IOReg tool) to locate your wireless card; it's often found under a device called ARPT, but not always... Sometimes you can find it under a device PXSX of which there can be several instances. You must therefore identify the correct one!

Once you've located the card in IOReg, make a note of the device it's registered against and the associated address. All you need to do then is find that device/address in your DSDT and add the DSM method detailed in the inventory thread. This avoids having to repatch the Info plist file of the wireless kext after each OS X update or new installation.

Here's an example:

IOReg.jpg

In the IOReg, you can see the wireless card registered under device PXSX@0, itself under device RP05@1C,4. The Vendor/Product PCI ids in the right part of the screen confirms the hardware identification (168c,2a).

DSDT_Device.jpg

In the DSDT, you can see a Device (RP05), located at address 0x001C0004 (matches RP05@1C,4 of IOReg) and under that RP05 device, a Device (PXSX) at address Zero (matches PXSX@0 of IOReg). You simply insert the DSM method under the _ADR line.

• Like 1

Herve,

Thank you so much, makes much more sense now, pictures speak a thousand words. My card was at the same device location which aided things :-D

Now so having made the edits I hit compile and get a lot of compile issues

Saved the  editied dsl, and reloaded the original disassembled dsl and get the same. Even loading the .aml gets the same?

Version of MaciASL is 1.4 and set ACPI specification to v5.0A

thanks again

-Steve

post-82006-0-95503300-1455832287_thumb.png

• Moderators

There's only 1 error you have to fix, Warnings and Remarks can be ignored.

To fix your error 'Invalid leading asterisk, run this patch. Place this in the 'Patch Text' window and hit apply

#Maintained by: RehabMan for: Laptop Patches#fix_HID_pnp.txt
# To fix Name(_HID, "*pnpXXXX") and Name(_HID, "pnpXXXX")
into_all all code_regex (Name\s+\(_HID,\s+\")\*pnp(.*\") replaceall_matched begin %1PNP%2 end;
into_all all code_regex (Name\s+\(_HID,\s+\")pnp(.*\") replaceall_matched begin %1PNP%2 end; 
  • Like 1