Help with chameleon and OSX/Win7 Dualboot

theunoticeable

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I've got a Dell D620 that I recently installed OSX 10.6.8 onto. It worked great, bootloader without a USB disk or anything!

I followed the instructions on the site to dual boot win7, However, Now that win7 is installed the computer only boots win7 (MBR written over I think?)

Tried to fix it in linux (stupidly) and now the computer posts (missing operating system) on both OSX and Windows partitions.

Is there a way to boot off the Mac OSX boot-usb and re-install chameleon?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

Download Parted Magic and burn it to disc (It's a linux live distro) once it boots up, open gparted (partition editor) it will scan your hard drive/s right click on the OSX partition click "manage flags" select "boot" see if that works.

If you still can't see chameleon, you'll need to reinstall it (the bootloader) using a usb stick or something.

theunoticeable,

Look at the post I had on Dual boot success. Much easier and straight forward. After win7 is installed, its boot loader takes over. Just reboot with USB pen or iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) CD, then you should see three icons. From there, boot into OSX, download chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) stand alone, and install on the OSX partition. Remove USB pen, and reboot. Hit any key when you see the boot loader, then you will see two icons, OSX and Windows NTFS.

If you run chameleon after win7 is installed, it will corrupt the win7 and you have to reinstall win7.

Good luck, and post back.

Thanks muchly for the help, I will give it a shot when I get home from work today.

Oddly enough, When I had OSX working (booting without the USB disk), as soon as I installed chameleon, booting from the USB disk stopped working (I'd get a big error message stating that my computer needed to be restarted)

Hopefully I'll be able to boot into my OSX partition from the USB disk this time around, if not, I have no idea what I'll do.

I'll let you know how it goes,

Thanks

Hi all,

So all in all I decided to just give it another go, Re "burned" the osxlatitude boot image onto an external hard drive using transmac, and installed OSX again, this time using all 500gb of my hard drive, so no more win7 for me. It's better that way in the longrun, and I don't have to deal with run arounds and bootloaders anymore :)

My system is up and running great, My only other question would be:

My dell latitude D620 came with a docking station, which has several outputs (mainly some USB ports, a DVI port, and some audio)

Just curious as to if it will work (the DVI, USB ports?)

Thanks

• Administrators

Hi all,

So all in all I decided to just give it another go, Re "burned" the osxlatitude boot image onto an external hard drive using transmac, and installed OSX again, this time using all 500gb of my hard drive, so no more win7 for me. It's better that way in the longrun, and I don't have to deal with run arounds and bootloaders anymore :)

My system is up and running great, My only other question would be:

My dell latitude D620 came with a docking station, which has several outputs (mainly some USB ports, a DVI port, and some audio)

Just curious as to if it will work (the DVI, USB ports?)

Thanks

actually no idear, it seemed to work fine on my D430 with the mediadock