[SOLVED] Dell Latitude E5530 & El Capitan - Success?

dpw95

Just curious if any of the senior forum members have made a run at installing El Capitan on a Latitude E5530, and what the outcome had been.

Did you try a clean install, or an upgrade to an existing working Yosemite instance?

• Moderators

I don't own this model but I don't think there will be an issue upgrading or clean install. A few things you'll need to do prior:

• Upgrade Clover to latest version v3320
  • Update the Config file to include SIP Disabling
  • Backup just in case

See my El capitan guide. You can use the E6230 or E6430 Config file and kexts depending on your system's display resolution. Keep your DSDT and SSDT.

I tried using the above advice, but I can't get the installer USB to boot.  It's getting this far.  Any ideas?

It looks similar to what I had when installing Yosemite from this other thread, but I have addressed having the ASUSPM flag enabled via Clover Configurator, and I am also using a non USB3 port.

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8491-dell-latitude-e5530-installation-working-approach/

post-85038-0-66317700-1449615632_thumb.jpg

I finally had some time to make another go at this.  All I can figure is that I had skipped something from previous advice given, because when I started from scratch, I was able to get the installer to load.  El Capitan installed fine on the 5530, using the bootpack for the 6230 that was available from the URL Jake provided in his first response above.

Hi dpw95,

I'm trying this on a e5530 non-vPro model and the installer never starts. I've follwed the instructions exactly as detailed in Jake's post https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8506-dell-latitude-inspiron-el-capitan-clover-guide/&do=findComment&comment=54621, deleted the EFI folder on the EFI partition and replaced it with the EFI_CLOVER (renamed to EFI) folder downloaded from Jake's post. I added the E6230.zip files to the CLOVER_EFI.

When the system boots from the USB (in the USB 2 port) I go to Options and add -v to the commands.

Eventually the boot stops at

hfs: setVeryLowDisk: vol:untiltled, freeblks:0, dangerlimit:12

Did you have to modify any other Clover options or add anything else to get this to install?

Sorry but I'm completely new to all this.

Thanks,

herges

Make sure you copy the bootpack to /Clover_EFI/Clover folder, not the Clover_EFI, then rename to EFI

Yep, I've double checked the folder structure and it is correct, there are 8 kext in the older EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other. I also read on another post here that this model required a BIOS downgrade so I downgraded to the 03 BIOS then to the recommended 12 BIOS but still stuck at the same error.

@dpw95: Is there anything else you had to add to the EFI partition? If not, would it be possible if you create a zip of your EFI and upload it?

Many thanks,

herges