(Solved) New to hackintosh need help with Lenovo Thinkpad X201

renerice

Hello,

I'm very new to this. Having used Macs for years but now finding them prohibitively expensive I decided to buy an already hacked (with Yosemite 10.10.3) Lenovo Thinkpad x201. All fine for a while then the Wifi stopped seeing networks and the Bluetooth greyed out. I tried updating kexts but realized I was really just poking around in a big dark hole of ignorance. I then made the big mistake of downloading and installing the 10.10.5  update from the app store. Now the Thinkpad starts, Lenovo screen, Clover Screen, White Apple on black with progress bar to half way and then... blue screen. Nothing further. My question is this- is there anything I can do to remedy my stupidity or will I have to start again from the beginning and actually learn the business of installing Mac OS on a PC? Not understanding the process was, I now realize ignorance in pursuit of a cheap fix and therefore an accident waiting to happen. Anyway I'd be glad for any suggestions. Many thanks, René

• Moderators

Since it's a preHacked system, it's hard to tell what was being done on it to get it going in the first place. 

You can try booting to the Clover GUI, hit the space bar where you'll get some boot options. Select verbose or no cache mode.

With that, hopefully you'll discover what's the cause of the hang. I believe since you upgraded to 10.10.5, your patched graphics kexts have been overwritten.

To get it going, you could try booting to single user mode and delete /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphics*

If that allows you to boot to the desktop, you can then replace them with the patched 10.10.5 version of the files.

See here for more details and download.

Thanks for replying Jake.

I have tried your suggestions with the following results.
. Booted in verbose mode and took screenshots of the results (attached). I have numbered these 1,2,3  and 4 in sequence from the start up. The hang occurs after a repeated 'ATHR: Unknown Locale:69'
. Tried to remove AppleIntelHDGraphics using sudo rm/ etc etc but got message back saying that the 'files were directories' and didn't appear to have been removed. 
Again thanks for your help

post-86672-0-30052200-1449495379_thumb.jpg

post-86672-0-40486600-1449495408_thumb.jpg

post-86672-0-42881800-1449495429_thumb.jpg

post-86672-0-59473700-1449495442_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your input. I thought I'd managed to successfully delete the AppleIntelHDGraphics.kexts but now no matter how I boot the machine, in verbose or single user mode it just shuts down and has to be restarted. I think I'm going to have to go back to the beginning and learn how to re-install. Rene

Crikey,

removing the AppleIntelHDGraphic kexts appears to have worked but so far the Lenovo only boots if I boot it in verbose mode and not automatically from Clover. I, however, now have greyed out sound/Wifi and bluetooth icons. Where to go from here?

• Moderators

See here for more details and downloads. Go to the section that mentioned QE/CI. There's a link to the patched kexts. Select the right set for your rig. i.e., single link, dual link, OS X 10.10.5.

As for wifi/bluetooth, what card do you have?

Specify vendor / product ID

You might need to install new patch kexts for it if it's still supported.

Thanks for everything. I got the Thinkpad working again, Graphics and startup all running smoothly. Only Wireless and bluetooth remain to be sorted out. The wireless card is a Qualcomm Atheros AR928x and I've tried everything I can find. There may be some installed kexts to remove and some to add that I don't know of, but I'm pretty happy with the state of play at the moment.

• Administrators

At the risk of stating the obvious, are you sure there is not a wireless service on/off switch somewhere on the laptop that would be in the "off" position? Or maybe all wireless services are disabled in BIOS. Bluetooth and wireless are handled very differently from a "kext perspective" and do not usually die together unless controlled by a switch. Unless it's a combo card and it dies of course...