E6410 El Capitan Help (Nvidia model)

benni

Hi there,

I created an El Capitan USB installer with DIskmakerX5 and used the EXTRA folder and installer terminal scripts in the Yosemite pack from PatelforPresident. Installed the latest Enoch Cameleon bootloader, with the options checked for kernel loading and to disable CRS system protection (Selected all of the options in the CrsActiveConfig section just to be sure).

Everything loads up and the OS X installer screen shows fine. Select to install to disk and it shows 7 minutes remaining immediately. Clicking on the installer log shows the following errors that endlessly loop until the installer states that it has encountered an error and cannot continue.

The installer errors shown are:

Language Chooser [433:6996] TSplicedFont failed creating descriptor for:

UnicodeRange = <__NSCFCharacterSet: >";

name = NoToSansBuhid;

I've included photo to give an idea.

Have I missed something so patently obvious that is cvausing this error?

Thank you for your help!

post-75451-0-19885100-1450125926_thumb.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

That's the problem, it doesn't install - it sticks at that error and only installs a tiny amount of data to the target disk (>200mb). Unsurprisingly, this isn't enough to boot from.

I assumed that it was a faulty download of the install disk image but I've tried with 5 variants and the problem occurs with all of them. Had no problems with making, installing and using Yosemite but El Capitan refuses to work. I'll try a different USB installation app than DiskmakerX5 and see whether that helps - or do it directly from the command line, I suppose.

I can try booting without caches and see whether that works too.

Should anybody else have other suggestions, I'd very much appreciate any time you can spare to post further suggestions.

Well, I had absolutely no success with making an installer. But I got an El Capitan install working and it seems to be OK so far.

I used SuperDuper to clone the 10.11.1 El Capitan install from my 2011 Macbook Air to an external HDD in a USB enclosure. I Installed Chameleon and the E6410 extras to that cloned install, then put it into the E6410, not expecting anything much after so much failure. Booted it up and everything seems fine so far - surprisingly so, given the ghetto approach.

I haven't had much time to test everything but so far it all works as expected - I was concerned that the App Store might be an issue but it worked out of the box. Honestly, I'll be astounded if this works without a few issues needing to be fixed but everything seems good so far. I'll update in a week or so with more news.

Ok so everything is working fine except for a bizarre issue when I updated to 10.11.2. The update goes fine and it boots ok with nothing holding up the verbose boot when Chameleon is loading. The only issue is that once this is done, the trackpad and keyboard seem to be knocked out and don't function.

I tried restoring the System/Library/Extensions folder from the pre-update backup and it won't even boot. Checked Chameleon and the Extra folder and and it all seems fine there.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Thank you!

Thanks Bronxtech, that is exactly what was required! El Capitan 10.11.2 is now running without issues. I rebuilt the kext cache and it now loads without the ignore cache boot flag. Strange, never had any such issues with Yosemite - but it works, which is fine.

Even with Chameleon set to ignore caches and the relevant Chameleon options selected, I could never get the USB installer to work - but cloning the install from another Mac system seems to have worked. Thanks again!

• Administrators

With Enoch latest versions (from r2760), you'll need to use option KernelBooter_kexts=Yes (manually used or configured in /Extra/kernel.plist) to load kexts from /E/E. Failing that, kexts need to be placed in /S/L/E or /L/E and the cache rebuilt. Kexts placed in /E/E and loaded from there will not be cached, simply injected at boot time which means that it'll take a little longer for your Hack to boot. This behaviour is similar to that of Clover with kexts placed in EFI/Clover/kexts/XXX