E6400 NVS 160M - Trouble installing OS X

joe10190

Hi folks

i am once again trying to have a play with hackintosh as my brother has just splashed out on a mac and is going to need some support.

I have a dell e6400/3 gb ram with the nvidia nvs 160m graphics card and intel wireless, that i use as a spare laptop that was purchased on ebay to have a play with mac osx. It runs win 7 fine though win 10 seems a little slow.

i would like to dual boot with yosemite or El capitan and win 7.

I have tried creating the usb installer on 2 of my other hackintoshes, one running M Lion and another Yosemite with 2 different usb sticks but they return " the installation failed "messages quite quickly.

I have googled the message but have had no joy in finding a solution.

Help Please!!

Thanks

darrell

• Administrators

This is a typical message returned either when attempting a full vanilla/standard installation on a disk not partitioned GPT. Either use GPT partitioning of the MBR patch to be able to install OS X on an existing MBR-partitioned disk.

Thanks Herve for the reply. I am pretty sure i have partitioned the usb drive properly as i have created several usb installers for various distros including my hack.

I have managed to install M Lion with my Hack from this forum though the touchpad is still not working, along with the intel wireless but i expected that, but i really need yosemite if i am to assist my brother.

Cheers

Darrell

• Administrators

You misunderstood: I'm not talking about the partitioning of the USB installer but that of the target installation disk... I've assumed your USB installer was created properly and could be booted up to OS X installation screen.

thanks for the reply again.

i downloaded a fresh OSX copy of Yosemite from the app store eventually and created the install disk.

After a number of attempts i managed to install Yosemite on the dell. A little confusing as different attempts would fail at different stages, as i kept notes of the installation process.

Install seems stable ( albeit at this early stage ) apart from really poor quality crackling sound and the expected non working intel wireless card.

I would prefer not to replace the internal wireless card as i intend to dual boot with win 7 if there is a good reliable cheap usb adapter out there.

I have 3 usb wireless adapters, all pretty average/poor performers in windows that i have failed to get working though i have not had enough spare time to thoroughly research their compatibility/installation procedure.

The adapters are :

Dynamode WL 700N XSX - installed? but unable to setup.

Edimax 7811Un no Yosemite driver on website but i tried the mavericks driver

Digitazz - Ralink that seems to install but cannot setup.

I have tried these devices on another hackintosh running yosemite as i do not want to trash the dell e 6400 even though i have used easeus to clone my install to a spare drive and also created a time machine backup.

I also cannot enable trim using the @sudo trimforce enable @ as it will not accept my password to complete the instruction.

Is there any way to confirm that the graphics is fully working?

HMmmmmmmmmm

Thanks for all your help.

Darrell