Dell computers compatibility

corey

how well does osx run on d430's 

i have access to any dell out there made around that time 

i have about 5 d430's with bios passwords. i forgot how to remove it tho i did one a long time ago but may have been on a d630

whats best for osx 10.9 or 10.0 

d630 intel graphics

d630 nvidia 

d620 with either 

e6400 intel or nvidia

and desktop wise

optiplex 755

precision 930

optiplex 760 or 790

trying to find a good laptop and desktop thats super easy to instal yosemite or higher on without expert work. i wish i could find something easy like it used to be. 

• Administrators

i think they all run OS X up to a certain point.

anything with gma 950 or x3100 graphics can only run up to lion and only 32 bit kernel mode.

the d630 nvidia runs latest os Herve has a tested boot pack for that.

the E6400 might be hit or miss if it uses eDP connection to the lcd then most likely it will not work. i am not sure if GMA or nvidia is a better selection. optimus might also be a factor.

as for the desktops i guess it would first depend on cpu, (core 2 duo and up) then what graphics it has installed if it is compatible with OS X.

once you get one working it is a lot easier to get the rest going :)

• Administrators

Not going to anything older than SL, here are what each model can run "vanilla":

• D430 (GMA 950): SL 10.6.8 + Lion 10.7.5 (in 32bit kernel mode only)
  • D530 (GMA X3100): SL 10.6.8 + Lion 10.7.5 (in 32bit kernel mode only)
  • D620 GMA 950 / nVidia Quadro NVS 110M: SL 10.6.8 + Lion 10.7.5 (in 32bit kernel mode only)
  • D630 GMA X3100: SL 10.6.8 + Lion 10.7.5 (in 32bit kernel mode only)
  • D630 nVidia Quadro NVS 135m: all versions SL/L/ML/Mav/Yos/EC (in 64bit kernel mode)

• E6400 1st gen Intel HD: can run all versions but with partial graphics acceleration only due to eDP display connector (unworthy Hackintosh)
  • E6400 nVidia 160M: all versions SL/L/ML/Mav/Yos/EC (in 64bit kernel mode)

• Desktops: all versions SL/L/ML/Mav/Yos/EC (in 64bit kernel mode) depending on add-on graphics card

You can install SL with myHack v3.1.2 and Lion/ML/Mav with myHack v3.3.1. myHack v3.3.1 does not support anything past Mavericks, so you have to manually build your USB installer for Yosemite and El Capitan (not a problem though, plenty of guides around). 

Re: D530 BIOS passwords, you should be able to remove them all using Dogbert's good old removal tool (used to be included to OSXL EDP - may still be the case). Works fine on all D430 and D620 BIOS, Ok on all D630 BIOS up to A17. You can Google for it.

You'll find all your answers by searching the forum and the web. Everything is more or less readily available for those old systems.