Dell Latitude D430 - No Sound

linxjinx

error beeps doesnt come out of speakers its a beeping module on board... so i would test different: download latest ubuntu live cd and test speaker within ubuntu if it doesnt work your speakers maybe broken...

At next step i would open your dell and check if cables lost connections...

I'm using the Apple PS2 Prefpane installed from the newest 1.5 RC candidate.

The system profile actually says "No Built In Audio" - is this normal? The Dell Bios reports sigmatel 9200 as the audio device.

Normally system beeps come out of a system module - but this is not the case with D4x0. I currently have the Ubuntu splash screen locked up on a D4x0 and when I hit a key you hear a system beep. If you disconnect the speaker - you no longer hear any beeps. This is the case on both my D420 and D430. I've always swapped the speakers between the two.

To add to the oddness - Ubuntu Live does the same exact thing. If i plug in headphones / external speakers I hear everything. But nothing will come out of laptop speaker. Almost seems like the OS thinks there is something plugged into the headphone port always...

i've fixed the problem by jamming a paper clip and twisting around until the speakers worked again.

Turns out the problem is a hardware failure of the jack's sensing pin. I looked inside and indeed one side of the jack had been flattened out more than the jack for the microphone.

the issue is described here if anyone ever has this issue

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/p/19341418/19730984.aspx

unfortunately the only real solution is to replace the headphone jack which many times involves replacing the motherboard. time to find myself a service tag.

for me the tiny speaker was more important than the headphone jack for now since I only use this laptop to walk around my house and watch silly videos from time to time