I don't know what I'm doing wrong with E6500 and OS X El Capitan

mergesoft

• Administrators

Since Yosemite, one has to create the USB installer manually. Literally dozens of posts detailing the procedure everywhere. Look it up in the various Yosemite/El Capitan guides we have on this forum. Here for instance or the other threads of that same section.

An "Extra" folder will indeed be mostly for reference although it is still used by Enoch Chameleon branch for DSDT, SSDT, boot plist , SMBIOS plist and kext injections. Useless for Clover. When you saw references to an EFI partition, it was probably for Clover, that's where the Clover files go, unlike Enoch.

For FakeSMC, I recommend you use a recent version from Rehabman or Kozlek. For PS2 controller, use those kexts we've listed in the 10.11.4 update thread of the Mac OS X forum subsection. I highly recommend the VoodooPS2Controller rather than the ApplePS2Controller on our Dell Latitude laptops since they have Alps trackpads.

You can't directly upgrade per se from Mavericks to Yos or El Capitan on a myHack installation; you have to re-install over it and replace your boot loader. It's easy enough to do. My reference to Mavericks was purely for the OP to reach success in installing OS X since he was not with Yos or EC through the manual way...

I followed the directions in the thread that you linked to (using the E6500 specific files instead of the D830). Unfortunately, when I try to boot from USB, it fails immediately, giving the following message:

Boot0: GPT
boot:0 doneboot1: /boot

and restarts and does the same thing again...

In order to read the boot1: /boot, I had to record the process in slow motion because it happened so quickly. 

Because this happens immediately, it seems like it is an issue with the USB Key itself, or the partitioning- not the contents, because they are never used?

Do you have any ideas? I notice that the USB drive is almost full (7.62GB/7.66GB), could that be causing problems?

I believe I did. However, since Chameleon wasn't working, I decided to give Clover a shot. I followed the instructions given here for the E6400 on Mavericks, and actually made a USB that boots up...partially. When I boot in verbose mode, it stops after a while and gives the the prohibited sign. The text becomes garble but I can see "looking for root device" and some references to USB, so I assume it is the new EHCI issue that I need to fix for El Cap. I haven't figured out the patch for EHCI to EHC1 (or is it EH01, I've seen both?). RehabMan says here to use the following code in the DSDT.aml located in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched:

# rename EHC1 to EH01
into device label EHC1 set_label begin EH01 end;
into_all all code_regex EHC1. replaceall_matched begin EH01. end;
into_all all code_regex .EHC1, replaceall_matched begin .EH01, end;

# rename EHC2 to EH02
into device label EHC2 set_label begin EH02 end;
into_all all code_regex EHC2. replaceall_matched begin EH02. end;
into_all all code_regex .EHC2, replaceall_matched begin .EH02, end;

However, I am not sure where to paste that. Should that go right after the opening brackets of the DSDT file?

Or is there a better way to solve this issue? Thanks for all the help.

• Administrators

Patching the DSDT in such a way is not sufficient; it needs to be accompanied by a USB injector kext where you define all your USB ports (according to the DSDT definitions or -better- IOReg) for your selected SMBIOS profile. You'll find an example in the pack of the D630 guide I linked above. It's explained in full details on Rehabman's repo.

I decided to give the EFI folder that was posted on post 8 of this thread a shot. I figured that, because the M4400 is very similar to the E6500, it might work. 

I'm now typing this on the Dell Latitude E6500 running El Capitan. 

It's not perfect yet. Here's what I have yet to troubleshoot.

• No sound. When I hit the Volume Up/Down Keys, there is a prohibited sign. There is a lot of discussion in the M4400 thread about sound that I still need to read. 
  • No Wifi- I believe that I will need to replace the WiFi card. Hopefully I can get AC/BT4.0 for Continuity features.
  • No Battery Icon/Info. 
  • Graphics card is seen as NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M 1024 MB, should be 160M 256MB
  • Display port works, no VGA
  • Shutdown doesn't work. Sleep seems to work when I close the lid
  • I'm sure there are other things...

Anyway, I just wanted to update on what I have found so far. Hopefully sometime this week I can try and fix these issues. Otherwise it will wait until next weekend. 

Here is the current configuration of my system:

Kexts:

post-92814-0-58268900-1472342797_thumb.png

FakeSMC.kext was provided by Herve in post #13 of this thread. It is used in conjunction with the DSDT provided with it.

I am almost certain AppleHDA.kext shouldn't be there...

I added VooDooPS2Controller.kext and VoodooPS2Mouse.kext to fix an issue with the trackpad I was having. I assume that ApplePS2Controller.kext is probably redundant now that I have done this.

I probably can get rid of DellBluetoothHCI.kext, given I am using a BCM4352 card for Wifi/Bluetooth.

DSDT:

Herve USB Injector DSDT.zip

This is my current DSDT, to be used in conjunction with the USB injector provided by Herve in post #13 . Unfortunately, USB isn't completely working. The internal webcam works, but none of the ports on the computer function properly.

griftopia dsdt.zip

This is another DSDT that Griftopia provided. Seems to be almost identical to Herve's. The only differences are that VGA works and displayport doesn't on this. On Herve's, Displayport works, VGA doesn't. The built in USB webcam isn't recognized with this DSDT- on herve's it is.

Ok, I have purchased an Azurewave AW-CE123H BC4352 Wifi card that seems to work fine. Now my issues are:

VGA doesn't work. Displayport does. If I use the DSDT that griftopia provided, VGA works, and Displayport doesn't. I'd like to get both working.

No USB, despite using the USB Injector kext that Herve provided. However, the internal USB webcam works.

Sound doesn't work. Currently shows the prohibited sign when I try to adjust volume. No output. It seems like there are many different ways to patch the IDT audio, what do you recommend? How do I find out what the exact chipset is? I've uploaded a copy of IOReg output. 

Battery info seems to crash from time to time. I have attached pictures of this issue.

Most importantly, it is way too slow. I ran a Geekbench benchmark on it and it scores 578 single core, 1013 multi core. Something seems wrong. 

post-92814-0-51690000-1472339082_thumb.png

post-92814-0-82525300-1472339099_thumb.png

ioreg info.zip

• Administrators

Ouh… lots to cover!

Bootloader and kexts:

Are you using Enoch or Clover?

1. With Enoch, add-on kexts should go to /L/E/, followed by permissions repair + cache rebuild. That's the preferred folder for best ideal performance and efficiency.
  2. Kexts placed in /E/E will be injected at boot time if and only if Enoch boot option KernelBooter_kexts=Yes is used. Clover works in a simile way where it injects kexts placed in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.x or EFI/Clover/kexts/Other

I don't know where the kexts you pictured above are placed (I assume /L/E or /E/E) but a few things appear incorrect. Patched (or vanilla) AppleHDA usually only loads from /S/L/E. You list an ApplePS2Controller alongside VoodooPS2Controller + VoodooPS2Mouse. You can only have one or the other, Apple or Voodoo, not both...

USB ports:

USB ports injection is done through the following summarized methodology:

1. selecting the appropriate SMBIOS profile (should be MacBookpro5,1 for the E6500)
  2. renaming of all EHC1/EHC2 references in DSDT table to EH01/EH02
  3. identification of all USB ports in IOReg by plugging a USB key in each individual port and taking a note of it
  4. editing the Info.plist file of provided USBInjector kext, where USB ports are defined according to IOReg findings under Mac model EH01/EH02 controllers (Mac mode being set to MacBookPro5,1 here)

This has been explained at great length on Rehabman's repo and at InsanelyMac, it's a simple matter of applying what experts on the matter have written some time ago.

mergesoft never bothered to reply or return to the thread so we don't know where he/she got after our suggestions and kexts supply…  -_-

For your info, I recently worked on a Latitude E6400 that I set in close config to my D630: tuned FakeSMC (SMC+AGPM), MBP5,1 profile, USBinjector of D630. All worked perfectly. No reason why the same would not work on E6500...

CPU performance:

Poor performance with a Core2Duo CPU on Intel 45 Express chipset may result from:

1. Dynamic Acceleration (IDA) being set in BIOS on a laptop fitted with a Merom CPU. It should only be set with a Penryn CPU. Which do you have?
  2. incorrect use or tune of FakeSMC kext/SMBIOS profile, resulting in lack of native CPU power management
  3. unnecessary use of NullCPUPowerManagement next
  4. Absence of P States + C States generation (selectable at boot loader level)

This has been explained at great length in exiting articles and threads on this web site/forum.

Audio:

The Latitude E6500 is fitted with IDT 92HD71B codec. That's what you need to seek in terms of AppleHDA patch. The patched AppleHDA kext must go to /S/L/E and the codec-specific IDT next can go to /S/L/E or /L/E. Failing that, try VoodooHDA (you may need to experience several versions from say v2.7.1 to 2.8.9). Remember to repair permissions and rebuild cache after all kexts handling.

Display outputs:

With regards to display ports, you may have not noticed it but the DSDT I patched was mergesoft's initial table of E6400 origin. Griftopia's DSDT appears to be of Dell Precision (Mx400?) mobile workstation origin. I had not paid any attention to the GPU part of mergesoft's DSDT. If you compare the 2 files and examine the dGPU definitions under device AGP @00010000, you'll notice 2 things:

1. E6400's table uses name IGPU for both iGPU and dGPU; this is not ideal at all but is not causing trouble and I can easily upload a revised DSDT that will rename the dGPU to GFX0.
  2. E6400's table uses different NVCAP settings than the Precision Mxx00's. This is the key to obtain both VGA and DP ports working as NVCAP defines the nVidia GPU output display ports arrangements. You basically need to look up for the correct NVCAP settings that fit to your E6500 system (LCD/LVDS + DP + VGA ?). Refer to the info provided here. If you can' find anything that works, try and remove the NVCAP part of your patched DSDT, reboot and see what's provided in IOReg. Hopefully, IOReg may show the correct values to inject (or not).

E6400 NVCAP:

"NVCAP", 
Buffer (0x18)
{
    /* 0000 */   0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00,
    /* 0008 */   0x0E, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0A,
    /* 0010 */   0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
}, 

Mxx00 NVCAP:

"NVCAP", 
Buffer (0x14)
{
    /* 0000 */   0x05, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00,
    /* 0008 */   0x2A, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0E,
    /* 0010 */   0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
}, 
`

I'll try and dig out the copy of the E6400 pack I recently helped finalize, hopefully, this can sort you out with your E6500. Note that my work did not include anything related to VGA and DP outputs.

• Like 1