OSX Mac on EliteBook 8530p?

SeanOMik

• Administrators

Did you try without the DSDT you picked-up somewhere? Because it does not seem to match your own specs. The DSDT you use shows nVidia graphics card whilst your System Info screenshot shows ATI video BIOS...

In the absence of more detailed hardware specs (your screenshot really shows next to nothing), I think you have the wrong model. The original IM thread you looked at does stipulate that the ATI card of that HP laptop is unsupported. You may want to give up as a result since you'd never get graphics acceleration.

• Administrators

Well, there are indeed 2 different models:

HP 8530w -> nVidia Quadro FX 770M or ATI Mobility FireGL V5700

HP 8530p -> ATI Radeon HD 3650

I most definitely would not re-use that patched DSDT you got off IM, it comes from a 8530w with the nVidia GPU and is clearly not suitable for your 8530p. Start afresh and extract your own raw DSDT. I don't think the ATI Radeon HD 3650 is supported though, I know that Radeon HD 3450 was last supported in Leopard 10.5.8 and, having done a quick search, the same appears to apply to the Radeon HD 3650... These are old graphics chips. To be totally honest, you'll probably have to give it up as there really is little point running OS X without acceleration. You could consider running good old Leopard of course, but I doubt it.

The 1st thing to do when considering Hackintoshing one's computer is to know/identify the underlying hardware... It's a simple matter of Googling for specs.

OK thanks Herve, I know about the graphics Card I just wanted to see if it would work without 3D acceleration before I spend more than $30 on a graphics card. But hey if it doesn't work I could install windows 7 and play games that need a little video power. I know its only 512mb (well the one Im looking at) but hey I'll be sad if it doesn't work but hopefully it will work. I guess I'll get some extra money by creating this site my dad wants me to make, I'm in high school so I don't have a every day job ( Yet, I have an interview next week ) but I'll by it anyway.

[EDIT] In the first page the creator of the guide says that you have to replace the graphics card with a NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M, well thats the one that he uses for this guide and that all the extra is set to. But thanks for the info

• Administrators

OS X is not really usable without graphics acceleration, especially most recent versions such as Mav/Yos/EC that now call on this for basic things.

Those HP Elitebook 8530p/w do appear to use an MXM graphics card so you can swap your existing unsupported Radeon HD 3650 by a nVidia Quadro FX 770M of 8530w's origin. Others MXM cards probably won't fit so be extremely cautious on that front.