krzysztofc10

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

Ok, Intel i7-720QM is a quad-core Clarksfield CPU with DMI interface (or QPI) at 2.5GT/s. I guess that's what you're talking about when you mention FSB 2500MHz. DMI (QPI) was an evolution of the FSB and the latter no longer applies to Core generation CPUs. FSB applied to older CPU generation like CoreDuo, Core2Duo, Core2Quad, etc.

The i7-720QM CPU has a nominal speed of 1.6GHz with Turbo boost to 1.73GHz (3 or 4 cores), 2.4GHz (2cores) or 2.8GHz (1 core). What I'm talking about by CPU bus speed is the actual base clock which, combined with CPU clock multiplier, provides the overall CPU speed/frequency.

For instance, SandyBridge/IvyBridge/Haswell CPUs operate at frequency=multiplier x 100MHz (and all have a DMI of 5GT/s). This is what you typically see in HWMonitor app:

x8.jpg x16.jpg x30.jpg

In the case of the i7-720QM, LFM = 933MHz (the lowest frequency it runs at) and nominal multiplier = 12. As such, this CPU operates a 133MHz bus speed/base clock (1.6GHz / 12 = 133MHz). In HWMonitor, you'd see a multiplier of x7 at LFM speed, x12 at nominal speed, x13 at 3/4core Turbo boost (1.73GHz), x18 at 2cores Turbo boost (2.4GHz), x21 at 1core Turbo boost (2.8GHz).

NB: I've read some people reporting inability to reach x21 multiplier with VT (Virtualisation Technology) enabled in BIOS...

To have the expected "proper" CPU speeds reported, you'll need to configure Clover with a CPU bus speed of 133000 kHz. You should then see a CPU reported at 1.60GHz in "About this Mac" rather than 1.58GHz and same thing in HWMonitor.

Ok So I have set 133 000 in Clover. And see difference. It's not so smooth like before. :( Now every core have 1.60GHz at x12 and 931 at x7. When I move pointer on YT videos in 1080p It hangs and the picture is moving like pictures from picture to picture (hanging) and it's not buffering. I've update the Bios to version A16, and dump DSDT by pressing F4 button when clover starts. I have packed the (Origin) folder from Clover and here it is. Yes I have VT enabled. GPU is still running 405MHz instead of 600MHz Core and 800MHz memory. 

A16E6510CloverDrop.zip

I have the i7-620M build in. I think that my CPU temperature is too high because my fan is spinning very often. Any recommendations for my CPU settings?

I think the lowest CPU speed is fine (1.2 GHz) but the base speed is wrong (2.79 GHz) and I am missing the turbo mode.

Beside my NVIDIA is running with 405MHz as well.

• Administrators

Before anything else, open up your laptop and check that your fan and heatink radiator are not clogged by dust; it's very typical after a few months/years...

Look-up for the proper way to manage native CPU SpeedStep on Intel's 1st gen "i" Core cpus such Arrandale and/or Clarksfield. It's well covered on this site or at InsanelyMac...

As usual, Intel i7-620M specs are available at Intel ARK site.