e6420 kernel panic with clover after direct upgrade to el capitan

DustyWater

• Administrators

Ouh... npjohnson... That's like ancient stuff... And I see you've got really old stuff in there that you probably don't even need (AHCI_3rd_party, AHCI_injector, ElliotLegacyRTC (that goes back to Leopard 10.5 days!), ATAPortInjector, ApplePCIIDE, older ApplePS2Controller + VoodooPS2 controller (erm...), etc.).

You could probably recover this installation but it's rather messy in my opinion and I'd recommend you start afresh. I would suggest you remove all those add-on kexts from /S/L/E, grab the appropriate E6420's pack from one of JakeLo's guides and follow the relevant guide.

On a side note, you should always avoid copying add-on kexts to /S/L/E, it makes it hard to distinguish them thereafter. Always favour /E/E with myHack for SL, L, ML and Mav and /L/E for Yosemite and El Capitan.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found out that when I did the upgrade the el capitan installer was deleted. I have no way of getting another one because the only real mac I own is a late 2006 core 2 duo iMac which is running 10.7 lion which doesn't support any newer os or even let me download it to use on another computer. I can get someone else to download el capitan for me but it's not ideal. If I wanted to try and repair my current install where would I start?

• Administrators

You will only be able to repair permissions and rebuild your cache once you've successfully booted your system (unless you have another partition on your disk that you can boot and perform those tasks from).

Once you've deleted all unnecessary kexts from /S/L/E, you should be able to boot if you place all your add-on kexts and patched DSDT to the EFI/CLOVER folders of your EFI partition. Kexts placed in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.xx are injected at boot time, not cached.

• Administrators

Hmm, I would not trust kext wizard for such a rebuild; I'd be scared it screws up the iMac. What I would recommend you do instead is the following:

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /Volumes/<HDD partition name>/S*/L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /Volumes/<HDD partition name>/S*/L*/E*
sudo chmod -Rf 755 /Volumes/<HDD partition name>/L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /Volumes/<HDD partition name>/L*/E*
sudo touch -f /Volumes/<HDD partition name>/S*/L*/E*
sudo touch -f /Volumes/<HDD partition name>/L*/E*
/Volumes/<HDD partition name>/usr/sbin/kextcache -Boot -U /Volumes/<HDD partition name>/ -K /Volumes/<HDD partition name>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel