Yosemite on Inspiron 1720 with NVidia

griftopia

Folks,

I believe I have all compatible parts for Mac OS Yosemite, but before I change the Wifi Card and Blue Tooth card, I need to get to Disk Utilities. Trying to get Yosemite it working on my Inspiron 1720. I could try El Capitan too I think, but right now I cannot get past Kernel Panics. If I remove the battery I get a little bit ahead but still get kernel panic ultimately.

I think I patched my DSDT correctly for my CPU / Mainboard and have attached it. Appreciate any help.

Here are the specs:

Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T5250 1.5 Ghz

Mainboard 82801HBM (ICH8-ME)

4GB DDR2

NVidia GeForce 8400M GS 128MB

Appreciate any help.

dsdt.aml.zip

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Core2Duo, ICH8 I/O controller, GeForce 8400M GS. These are similar specs as the D630. You should have no problem installing Yosemite or El Capitan.

What patches did you apply to your DSDT?

Sorry I should have taken pictures of the kernel panics. Problem is the kernel panic was not consistent and I was trying a few things.

So I started off by extracting DSDT, looked in CPU-z and saw I had ICH8 mainboard. Searched on google and found patches for ICH8. I've attached them here and they are already in the DSDT I attached earlier. 

If someone can let me know obvious errors, I can then try again with any fixed DSDT I receive or can create, and this time take picture of kernel panic.

PS I used Chameleon. I'm new to this and am "clover challenged". Also I read on old laptops best to use Chameleon.

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

ICH8.zip

Okay so you are saying I am past my DSDT issues? If so, that's good.

If you are saying I should just sit on that screen and eventually I should see language selection screen, I'm afraid that's not happening.

On the other hand, now that I had a clear message in the KP, I did some Googling. If I'm understanding what I'm reading correctly, NullCPUPowerManagement should let me boot my USB and install OS X, but I will loose Power options like Sleep. Once I get OS X installed, I can patch the Apple Kext.

My only problem, boot hangs at random places. ONCE I was able to get to language selection screen. Next time hung at different place. Any insight? What I don't want is start installing and then it hangs and then again I'm back to square one, assuming I hit the language selection screen again. I've only been able to do so ONCE in 20 reboots.

• Administrators

we got around having to patch by using a mbp5,1 smbios and tuning fakesmc.kext. 

are you using the same usb port during these issues or is it successful on a certain port? on the d630 that had the intel wireless card still active in bios or not physicllay removed did cause install issues like yours, sometimes it was BT. i think the fix was to add an irq to hpet if i remember something like 5 and 11 but you can compare with one of our d630 dsdt's

we got around having to patch by using a mbp5,1 smbios and tuning fakesmc.kext. 

are you using the same usb port during these issues or is it successful on a certain port? on the d630 that had the intel wireless card still active in bios or not physicllay removed did cause install issues like yours, sometimes it was BT. i think the fix was to add an irq to hpet if i remember something like 5 and 11 but you can compare with one of our d630 dsdt's

Don't understand your post entirely, but I can try disabling/removing wireless card. I did try on multiple USB ports. Same result - random halt, no apparent error.

Not sure hpet,irq,5,11,whatever. Will google to understand.