Yosemite on Inspiron 1720 with NVidia

griftopia

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Yes.

Adjust the AGPM config in FakeSMC kext. Start by the device id (I did ask you for the nVidia GPU ids, but you never replied), then experiment with threshold vaues if you feel the values used for the NVS 135m are not good enough for your own GPU. All explanations are in the dedicated thread you refered to.

Use HWMonitor to keep an eye on GPU throttling. It should operate all the time, even after waking from sleep. You would normally expect the GPU core and memory idle speed when doing next to nothing, rising to intermediate speed(s) then max speed as you make more intensive graphics demands on the GPU. You can use key combinations such as Ctrl-UP/Ctrl-DOWN/Ctrl-LEFT/Ctrl-RIGHT or multiple clicking on LaunchPad icon to that effect. GPU speeds would then go down as GPU demands decrease or cease.

Sorry Herve, completely missed your reply. Was also distracted with other laptops. Will read that thread and understand. One question - what did you mean by "your GPU Ids"? You were asking for IOReg dump?

My inspiron always runs hot even under windows, and it has been doing that for a while, but I hear ya - don't want to live on borrowed time and have motherboard fry one fine day without warning.

• Administrators

I mean exactly that: the GPU PCI vendor + device ids as displayed in lspci info or SysProfiler->Graphics. They're required to patch the AGPM kext accordingly.

Example on my HD3000-based E6220:

GPI_id_lspci.jpgGPU_PCI_ids.jpg

• Administrators

So you now need to modify the FakeSMC AGPM patch to replace the NVS 135M GPU ids by 10de/0427. Are you running on the D630's DSDT (your screenshot clearly shows GPU displayed as NVS 135M...). If you want to keep that, you really should modify it to reflect your true hardware.

No, if you recall the D630 DSDT i couldn't get to work. I used other stuff from D630 pack, but used my own i1720 DSDT. That's why I'm wondering where NVS 135 came from, maybe from the smbios? Unsure if it just for appearance sake and I can change it to say NVidia 8400 M GS, or what. In any case now that I know what you meant by ids, I will read and learn from other post and try.

I'm going to image my entire hard drive. I wish there was a way to take compressed image on USB for MAC (Macrium does this on windows), then I could just use USB to backup/restore my entire hard drive. The laptop is really running well otherwise and I don't want to muck it up.

• Administrators

Maybe your DSDT contains the reference to the NVS 13M, I don't know. It's just cosmetic. There's an article in the Articles page of the web site that explains how you can change this; I invite you to read it. Your GPU device will be located at address 0x00010000 under a name like GFX0 or VID or AGP, something of that line.

You can easily image your existing OS X installation partition from the USB installer. All you need to do is boot to main installer screen, then go to Utilities->Disk Utility and make an image of your HDD partition on the USB key. If there is not sufficient space, reduce the existing HDD partition and make one of the necessary space to hold the desired image. Something like 16Go should be more than enough.

• Administrators

Maybe the boot loader associates/injects the wrong device description to the PCI id, though it would be surprising...

According to the literature those nVidia (vendor 0x10de) chips have the following device ids:

• Quadro NVS 135M = 0x042b
  • GeForce 8400M GS = 0x0427