Dell E6430 running El Capitan 10.11.3 no DVI,DP or HDMI output

plasher26

I have a Dell E6430 running El Capitan 10.11.3.  My laptop has  the Intel HD4000 and Nvidia NVS5200 cards.  I do not get any video output on external monitors using VGA, DVI, HDMI or Display port.   For the DVI and DP I'm using the Dell E series port replicator plus.  For the HDMI and VGA I just plug into the laptop ports.    VGA and DVI worked when I had Mountain Lion 10.8.4 installed on the laptop but when I upgraded to El Capitan I can't get it working again.  I don't think I tried HDMI or DP when I had mountain Lion installed so I'm not sure if those worked or not.

I did a fresh El Capitan install and used the guide you can find here:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8506-dell-latitude-inspiron-el-capitan-clover-guide/&do=findComment&comment=54632

I'm my bios settings I have optimus enabled as that seems to solve my sleep problems as well as jittery video in some player applications.  About this MAC shows that it's using the Intel HD 4000 with 1536MB

Does anyone have external video on their Dell E6430 running El Capitan? If so can you tell me what you did to get it working?

Thanks!

/Paul

Also, THANK YOU very much for having these forums! I am new to Mac OS X and have relied on your ML and EL Capitan guides tremendously to get my systems working. 

• Administrators

Sounds like you need to patch the Capri FrameBuffer. I did some work on that specific matter for my HD3000-based E6220 recently: 

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7914-dell-latitude-e6220-with-intel-i5-2520m-hd3000-and-1366x768-lcd-mavericksyosemite/&do=findComment&comment=52237

The same principles will apply to IvyBridge iGPU. Start from Dinesh's detailed HD4000 topic.

Please note that some display outputs may only be available through the iGPU (VGA and DVI for instance) whilst others may only be available through discrete GPU (HDMI for instance). You'll probably find out by trial and error.

I'll be getting an IvyBridge E6230 again soon and will be able to renew the exercise, but that'll only apply to integrated HD4000, not discrete nVidia which the E6230 does not possess.

Thanks for the info. I took it and tried somethings.   I'm at the point now that if I disable optimus then I can use the dvi.  If I enable optimus I cannot.  

With optimus enabled, my about this mac shows the intel hd 4000 and seems to overall work better.   In this state I have to fn - f8 to push the video to the external monitor using VGA but then no matter what monitor I use, the ioreg as well and SwitchResX always displays the same EDID info.    

If I boot the with the lid closed, all I get is the clover screen on the external VGA display. The drive runs a lot and the laptop display is blank.  To recover I have to power off.

Do I have to modify the dsdt ?  I attached it because the PEG part looks different then the dsdt I used with mountain lion.

Thanks!

/Paul

DSDT.aml.zip