Issues booting into OS X installer - E6230 - HD3000

The 10th Doctor

Hello there,

I've got a E6230 lying around and I wanted to see if I could get OS X working on it. However, thus far, I'm having no luck and not even able to get into the installer for OS X - I believe my issues are related to the Intel graphics not initialising.

The specs of the Dell E6230 are as follows: 

• CPU: i3-2350M
  • RAM: 4GB DDR3
  • HDD: 512GB SSD
  • Graphics: Intel HD 3000
  • BIOS: A15
  • Legacy boot enabled, virtualisation disabled, secure boot disabled, SATA set to AHCI 

So far I have tried following two guides: 

If I use Jake's method (noting note #1 of the second post - using E6220.zip) first off I get a kernel panic relating to the PS2 Trackpad kext, so I removed that from the EFI partition. After that it seems to work better however I get an error about the AppleintelSNBgraphicsfb and then a few other unrelated ones (like ipv6 and hfs space) and nothing else happens. 

I have:

1. Recreated the install USB many times
  2. Used different USB drives
  3. Tried formatting the internal disk as HFS+ on another machine
  4. Re downloaded El Capitan twice
  5. Tried not injecting the Intel drivers by editing the config.plist
  6. Using the Clover Configurator and ticking the 'FixDisplay' option

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm just about to recreate my installation media and see if I can get a clear shot of the error, if that helps. 

• Moderators

Are you sure about the model or specs?

Most of the E6230 I come across are 3rd Gen CPU with HD4000.

If the processor i3-2350m you specified is correct, then you do have HD 3000, then the model you specify might be wrong and should be E6320?

Are you sure about the model or specs?

Most of the E6230 I come across are 3rd Gen CPU with HD4000.

If the processor i3-2350m you specified is correct, then you do have HD 3000, then the model you specify might be wrong and should be E6320?

The processor and model information is straight out of the BIOS and it's also got E6230 on the case - see attached (sorry if these are showing all upside down - iPhones!)

post-91376-0-85381800-1458345843_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

What's the resolution of the display?

Try the E6220 pack but leave out the DSDT.aml.

Boot to Clover, hit F4 to extract RAW DSDT/SSDT. Compress the origin folder and attach it.

Will need a custom patch for this model.

Also check to make sure that DiMM is in slot 1.