[SOLVED] E6420 Dual boot Capitan with Windows

sahilsaid

I have successfully installed Capitan on my E6420 using the following guide:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8506-dell-latitude-inspiron-el-capitan-clover-guide/

I am now trying to install windows 10 on the same laptop in the same SSD drive. My HDD setup is as following

250GB SSD:

• 120GB assigned to OSX Capitan
  • 120GB assigned to windows 7/10 ( I left this partition un-initialised during Capitan install process)

After installing Capitan, I booted up the clover from USB and selected windows DVD to boot from and started to go through the windows setup. The setup did not let me pass the step where I had to select my installation drive. It complains about the selected drive for installation something to do with GPT i think.

Is there any simple guide or youtube video which I can follow for dual booting Capitan and windows?

The concern I have is that because of the sandybridge processor of my laptop, I had to use some bespoke options for clover as stated in the post #2 of the installation guide above.

Do I have to follow specific order of installation?

I did try various techniques including this and where I am stuck now is on the windows partition chooser page during installation. When I click on FAT32 partition that I allocated for windows, I get the following message.
"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition"

Just to give more info. I have not installed the clover on my HDD yet. I  want to install windows first and then install clover on HDD> Currently I am loading clover from USB.

Yes I was doing this wrong. I followed what you said and now it almost works. It went through the intiial setup of windows 7 including "copying files", etc but then windows 7 installer had problems restarting the machine. It complained about the disc not compatible with windows install or something, I will check again this evening and add the exact error. 

The other major problem I am having is that I am unable to install clover on my SSD. I can boot fine from USB clover but as soon as I install it on my SSD and try to boot from it I have all sorts of different error. 

I think the solution is the in the following thread which I will attempt to apply this evening too. Its to do with CoreStorage format that apple created by default on the legacy boot machines.

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8668-e6420-el-capitan-cant-boot-from-hdd/

I have now managed to fix this issue now. 

I re-installed OSX and left about 100GB un-attended and other as MAC-OS (journeled) of-course for OSX. Installed clover on HDD with the setting provided on latitude Capitan install guide and then I installed windows 7 on that un-attended partition (You may have to delete/format that partition in windows installer first). I also had to press F12 on boot and select UEFI option of DVD drive.