E6220 Docked Issue with External VGA Display

MikeGiff

Hi there.

First post here.  I am a newcomer to the Hackintosh scene and recently built myself a E6220 with El Capitan using the info on this great site (and a lot of help from a friend!).

I have had a few little issues which I had been working through, and am a little stuck on one which I was hoping for some help on.

Basically I managed to add the kext file to allow VGA to work from the laptop docking station.  But I still have 2 problems :-

- The output only appears on the external display when I boot with the laptop lid open.

- If I then close the laptop lid the laptop display is still active and I'm not solely on the monitor.

Ideally, I just want to be able to leave the lid closed and just use the monitor when i am at the desk.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

• Administrators

Thanks for your help Herve.

Unfortunately I still haven't got it working.  It's probably me not understanding the technicalities/process fully.

I am assuming by patch the SNB FB kext, I can use the already patched Kext you have as an attachment on the linked post?

With that assumption -

I installed that Kext to the extensions folder.  I then tried to run the repair kext permissions and rebuild cache commands.  But I had an error when running one of them :-

Mikes-MacBook-Pro:~ Mike$ sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

rebuilding //System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

File at path '/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel' changed, cannot be used

Child process /usr/sbin/kextcache[492] exited with status 77.

Error 107 rebuilding /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

Thanks, here's the output from that one:  :|

Last login: Thu Mar 24 13:17:11 on console

Mikes-MacBook-Pro:~ Mike$ sudo touch -f /L*/E*

Password:

Mikes-MacBook-Pro:~ Mike$ sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*

Mikes-MacBook-Pro:~ Mike$ sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

rebuilding //System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

File at path '/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel' changed, cannot be used

Child process /usr/sbin/kextcache[471] exited with status 77.

Error 107 rebuilding /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

Mikes-MacBook-Pro:~ Mike$

• Administrators

The patched SNB framebuffers in my posts are for Mavericks 10.9.5 or Yosemite 10.10.5. I would not expect them to work in ElCapitan.

All you need to do is hex edit the binary file of your current 10.11 installation with a tool such as HexEdit or similar (0xED tends to be problematic under El Capitan so it's best avoided) according to the published info. Alternatively you can look at perl Terminal commands to make your binary substitutions. Plenty of samples all over the Net.

Start by reading this guide. Then go back to the threads I refered to in post #2.

Hi Herve

Just to follow up, I managed to patch the native kext file with the Hex values in your post but unfortunately it hasn't altered the behaviour and I still can't boot with the LCD closed when docked.

Steps were :-

- Checked DSDT and patch already existed so didn't need to amend.

- Obtained native AppleIntelSMBGraphicFB.kext from friend (as I hadn't backed up my original!).

- Searched for hex values in EMlyDinEsH post and replaced all with values in your post.

- Installed to SLE using Kext Wizard.

- Ran commands to rebuild permissions/cache (this took a few attempts).

Do you have any other suggestion on what I can check ?  Or alternatively if anyone else happens to read this post and has a patched AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB for ElCap E6220 .... :-)

Regards

Mike