E7270 / E7470: Skylake HD 520 now supported in El Capitan

Jake Lo

Hello Jake,

What is Your status on E7470 and El Capitan? Is it already worth buying to be used with MacOSX without issues? I have a perfectly working E7450 now, but my brother needs a notebook and I'm thinking about giving him mine and buying something else instead ;)

Thanks.

• Moderators

It's a nice hack as the E7450, HD520 is fully supported. Only a few things that's not working yet:

HDMI audio - no support yet

SD Card reader - no support yet

I'm having a little issue with it booting a little slow, but once booted, it's fully working. Will need the Intel Wireless/Bluetooth combo replaced with a DW1560 as the E7450. Build process is basically the same, will need to set DVMT to 96MB.

If you decide to go for it, let me know, I'll write up a guide with bootpack.

Cheers

Thank You :)

I was planning to use the same DW1560 I have now in my E7450 and replace the Dell-mounted M.2 SSD with Samsung 950 Pro NVMe disk.

HDMI audio is not important to me at all, SD card reader might be useful but I think I could deal without it.

Do You prepare DSDT file by Yourself? Where do You get proper patches from? I did manage to extract and patch a DSDT file for a Gigabyte or Intel mainboard sometime ago, but I had patch files for it. Naturally, it is much more convenient when You provide us with a ready-to-use bootpack :) But again, I am asking out of curiosity.

Thanks.

• Moderators

Yes, since I don't see anyone else hacking this model yet. I'm using basically the same patches for the E7450 with generic patches from Rehabman's github, with minor changes for Skylake support.

NVMe was just currently supported with patches made by PikerAlpha, but I have not personally tested since my SSD is SATA based.

Update: Here's a guide finally. It's still work in progress though.