D620 kernel panic going into MyHack install

Xephrey

It's the Nvidia model. I've followed instructions and made a 10.8.0 Mountain Lion MyHack install with the custom extras. I can't get to the first install screen. All the BIOS settings are optimal. I removed AppleEFI kext as per one of the suggestions I found on this forum. It loaded a little longer, but ultimately it kernel panicked again. Then I upgraded the chameleon version on the MyHack USB installer as per another suggestion I found on the forum. Now it kernel panics right away.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Administrators

Which version of myHack are you using? v3.1.2 or v3.3.1. The latter is recommended rather than the former.

If you upgrade Chameleon, I advise you not to go beyond r2468 (I had trouble with version r25xx and beyond though I did not test them all individually). Versions r2377, r2395 or r2401 should be Ok too.

What does your KP indicate? Check that you boot in 32bit kernel mode and that your FakeSMC does not contain the GPUSEnsors PlugIns; it KPs on the nVidia 110M chip.

• Like 1

Chameleon r2571 (I guess I'll find one of the versions you recommended) can I just apply it myself to the MyHack installer? Or does it have to be done by way of the MyHack app?

MyHack is 331

What command do I type in to boot in 32 bit kernel mode?

How do I check if my FakeSMC contains GPUSensors plugins?

MLPF seems to be scoured from the Internet. Know where I can pick it up?

Thanks

post-4953-0-41020100-1460227191_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Yep, it's the FakeSMC plugin. Right click on the kext, select "Show Package contents", then browse to the PlugIns subfolder. Delete the GPUSensors kext. Then rebuild your cache with myFix (quick) and reboot.

For Chameleon, you can apply the app to your USB installer; no need to use myHack.

If you want to run ML on that system, I advise you to 1st install ML 10.8.5 using the 10.7.5 full pack from here and to subsequently install all updates (apps, security, etc.). You'll run it in 64bit kernel mode initially, i.e. without any form of graphics support. Once you've completed all updates, you may then apply the MLPF hack and run in 32bit kernel mode.

It seems you can pick up MLPF v0.3 from here these days.

• Like 1

Great! Thanks so much for the help. I'm getting closer to a breakthrough here. Now it says it can't find the boot file when I try to launch the installer. I've tried with r2570, and as well as an earlier version as you recommended (r2437). They both give the same result. Before switching around Chameleon versions, I was initially greeted with 'mach-0 file has bad magic number'.

• Administrators

Remember that the 10.7.5 bootpack contains the option to boot in 32bit kernel mode (arch=i386). Since you'll be initially installing and running standard 64bit ML, make sure you manually overwrite the Chameleon boot plist option with arch=x86_64.

• Like 1

Ok, reinstalled Chameleon to r2401 and overwrote the boot option in the plist to arch=x86_64. I've been able to get past the first install phase. Though it says 'Install failed' after working at 'one minute left' point for around 5 minutes. The cause it states is that it was unable to restart, which may have been done on purpose, but I figured I'd mention it in case it wasn't.

Upon restart I type in 'arch=x86_64 -x', at which point a meter pops up and only makes it to around a third filled, then disappears. Now all there is is a spinning loader under an Apple which goes on indefinitely.

Know where I went wrong?