Dual booting Win 10 on 3340

rcboosted

I currently have El Capitan installed on my 3340 thanks to all the nice folks on this forum.  Unfortunately, I need to dual boot Windows 10 on it.  The USB install drive I created was using Rufus and Windows 10 iso I got from Microsoft.  On the clover screen, after selecting: "Boot from Microsoft mgrboot" something, nothing happens, if I select "Boot from Microsoft cdboot" something, I got an error screen.  I've attached the error.  Most the guides online all just said to install OSX, partition some space for windows, then boot and install from the usb.  Now sure what to do next.

post-88450-0-24234800-1460428589_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Boot with the USB installer, select the OS X partition to boot.

Mount the EFI partition

Rename the file “bootmgfw.efi" in /EFI/Microsoft/Boot to "bootmgfw-orig.efi"

Copy "CLOVERX64.efi" in /EFI/Clover to /EFI/Microsoft/Boot and rename the file “bootmgfw.efi"

Thank you Jake for the quick response.  I booted it up into osx normally with the win10 usb in the slot, mounted EFI partition using clover configurator.  I went to /Volume/EFI/EFI. but there are no "Microsoft" directory. But on the win10 usb, I do see efi/microsoft/boot/ (all lower case) but no bootmgw.efi, but there's a cdboot.efi.  If I just go to the win10 usb, in the root dir, there's bootmgr.efi

so the dir structure is like this:

bootmgr.efi

efi -> microsoft -> boot -> cdboot.efi

did I miss a step?

*edit* if I hit F12 on the Dell logo and choose the USB drive, it boots up to win10 setup ok.  But I don't know if I should go through clover to boot or just F12.  I'm worried installing it this way will wipe out the clover boot menus.

Thanks Jake. I got into Win10 set up, but I got the "the selected disk has an mbr partition table" error when I tried to format the 2nd partition.  Googling around and the solution seems to be wiping the partition with diskpart, but I don't want to wipe my OSX install that I spent quite a bit of time on.  Any other solutions?  I don't even remember creating the partition as MBR when I installed OSX.  

I found some old thread you replied to, this has to do with how the usb install disk is created.  I used Rufus to create it.  But I'll try the method you outlined.

I followed this thread, in particular this post  https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/6236-solved-e6230-os-x-windows-dual-booting-issues/&do=findComment&comment=35341.  Used diskpart to format the usb, then copied the iso to the usb using "windows 7 usb and dvd download tool".  Booted with that recreated usb drive, but I still got the same error for MBR.

I went into BIOS, on boot sequence section, ticked legacy boot instead of UEFI, then tried the install again, this time it installed ok.  However, clover doesn't show up if I leave it in legacy, and win10 doesn't show up if I leave it in UEFI.  Is this the part where I follow your step in clover to copy CLOVERX64.efi?  Actually, in OSX, I still don't see the Microsoft directory after mounting EFI.

I booted into win10 and did a list disk under diskpart, this is the output:

Disk ###   Status    Size   Free   Dyn   Gpt

--------   --------  ------ ----   ----  ---

Disk 0     Online    119GB    0 B