HP Envy m7-N109DX

Artisto

Well, I ordered this HP Envy and plan to install Mountain Lion on it.  I should be receiving it in the next day or so. This will be my third lesson in Hackintoshing.  Can anyone suggest where to begin searching for info on working with this particular model?   I'm thinking maybe this time I will do a clover install but I need to know which options to check in the install.  Can anyone help or direct/Guide?

• Administrators

You can forget about ML on a Broadwell or Skylake platform. ML supports Intel CPUs up to Haswell generation and, for those 4th gen CPUs, only in 10.8.5. You will have to target Yosemite 10.10 (minimum) or current El Capitan 10.11, knowing that there is limited support for Skylake platforms at the moment...

For the rest, well, you'll have to post your system's specs.

• Administrators

What model of nVidia, is it the 940M as listed in some HP published specs? What about the rest like audio, LAN, wireless, SD card reader, etc. ?

You have a Skylake platform, so you have no other choice but El Capitan (Skylake support introduced in 10.11.1 kernel and Skylake HD520/HD530 support just got introduced in 10.11.4). Keep in mind that there are no Skylake MacBook for the moment (only 27" iMac), that's expected later on this year so you're ahead of the game. Hardly any Skylake laptops actually run OS X with complete support. There's only limited success afaik.

If your GeForce proved unsupported, you'd have to rely on the integrated HD520 graphics; that should work on the basis that 10.11.4 supports HD520/HD530.

All in all, you're going to need a lot of patience until Apple releases Skylake-based MacBook laptops.

According to the general specs, it should be a 940.   Everything else I don't know yet.  I haven't received it yet.   The specs list was very limited.  I'm a graphic artist so I have been looking for a machine to replace apple macbook pro, but still run OSX.  I have a serious problem with apple hardware and the way apple treats the general public.

I'll post more after I get the machine in the next couple days or so.

Ok. I finally received my HP Envy M7-n109DX
Specs:
Intel  [email protected],2601Mhz 2Core(s)
BIOS Version insyde F.1A  (9/23/15)  UEFI
Realtek High Def Audio
Synaptics SMBus Touchpad
NVIDIA 940M ;  Intel HD Graphics 520

I can't see anything more on the audio besides what I listed after viewing device manager.  Any suggestions let me know so that I can provide exact info if needed.  Also, what difference would it make only having to rely on the HD 520 and not having support for NVDIA 940M  ????

• Administrators

Your laptop may display more info in the BIOS setup pages; failing that, assuming the PC came pre-installed with Windows, you should be able to identify exact hardware or at least hardware pci vendor + device ids through the Device Manager. Look up the device driver info.

Re: iGPU vs. discrete GPU, well... isn't the answer obvious?

Ok... So doing as described by Jake Lo, the only thing I get is MMDEVAPI\AudioEndpoints.  I clicked on all three options and under details, this is what I got  I didn't see anything like VLC269AB  etc...

Also in regard to Herve's answer   Re: iGPU vs. discrete GPU, well... isn't the answer obvious?- I'm not sure what you mean, please understand I'm still a noob.  Sounds like an answer to my question about 940M and HD520 but I don't understand.

Thank You!

• Moderators

Launch device manager, then going into the properties of Realtek High Definition Audio. Then click on the Details tab, under Propery, select Hardware Ids,

you should see something like this

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_102....

Discrete Nvidia 940M is not supported, you'll need to go with Intel HD 520, fortunately is supported with 10.11.4. You'll need the discrete card to be disable in the BIOS or with DSDT patching.