Latitude E6430s: trouble booting to 10.11.4 El Capitan installer

bnichols024

Hello all,

First time poster. I was able to successfully load OS X El Capitan on my custom desktop with no issues at all. I'm having all kinds of trouble with this Dell laptop. 

System specs:

Dell Latitude E6430s

CPU: Intel i5-3340M @ 2.70GHz
RAM: 8GB PC3L
BIOS Version: A16
Intel HD Graphics 4000

I've been following these directions exactly. I'm using the bootpack for the E6430. When I boot to the USB, it begins to load, but very shortly into the process it stops and reboots at this stage:

post-4953-0-07168800-1460651281_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions or advice? Anything at this point would be much appreciated.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replacing the VoodooPS2Controller alone did not work. I then checked CPUS=1 and that seemed to do the trick, for that issue anyways. Now there is a new one. The progress bar gets a bout halfway and then goes black. I tried to get a picture with the verbose flag on but the screen goes black before i get the chance.

• Administrators

Depending on where you have your kexts, you may or may not need to repair permissions and rebuild your cache:

• With Clover, kexts placed in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/XXXX folder are injected at boot time, not cached
  • With Enoch, kexts placed in /Extra/Extensions are injected at boot time with boot option KernelBooter=kexts=Yes but they are not cached
  • Regardless of boot loader, kexts placed in /L/E or /S/L/E require to have their permissions repaired and the cache rebuilt with following Terminal commands:
sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*
sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
sudo touch -f /L*/E*
sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
sudo kextcache -Boot -U / (or sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel)

Please note that kext injection induces a slightly slower boot than kext caching.

You also need to bear in mind that most E6x30 laptops need BIOS up to and to higher than a certain version or they face graphics corruption in OS X. That's worth checking too on your E6430s.

But, at this stage and until you can confirm what the likely problem is with verbose boot mode, I'd say you're missing the Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPU power management patch (AsusAICPUPM) mentioned by Bronxteck above. If you missed it in your Config.plist, select it through the appropriate Clover menu once you've pressed the SPACE bar after the Clover logo.