M6300 El Capitan Install

griftopia

I have successfully prepared USB stick for El Capitan and installation went through with -v USBBusFix=Yes.

On reboot, I selected my Hard Drive and again only specified -v flag. It scrolled past the usual, then got stuck on White screen with Apple Logo and progress bar not making any progress.

Since then I have tried -x, GraphicsEnabler=No, USBBusFix = Yes and all combinations thereof. It gets stuck on Bluetooth timeout for a long time followed by "considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel prebuild rebuild has expired". The first time I booted of course it built the kernel cache.

I don't get it. Any suggestions?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay -v UserKernelCache=No got me through. I was able to complete the install and now can boot of the Hard Drive. 

Working

Wireless (OOTB with DW1390)

Battery Status 

Trackpad Keyboard

Sleep / Resume

Shutdown

1 USB port, lower on the LHS

Not Working

Trackpad Mouse

Bluetooth

Ethernet

5 USB ports, 1 upper on the LHS and 4 @ Rear

PS - Seems a little sluggish, so not sure QE/CI working (how can I tell?). Resolution is good though and not having refresh issues. Only 2 GB RAM might be the issue?

M6300_10.11_WIP.zip

• Moderators

Hard to assist without any system specs...

What CPU?

What graphics card? Nvidia only or Nvidia with Intel HD?

Touchpad, most likely an Alps. Try VoodooPS2Controller found here. Been mentioned a lot lately since 10.11.4 came out. Remove ApplePS2Controller and AppleACPIPS2Nub first.

USB port, try renaming all EHCI to EHC1 in your DSDT.

You don't have LAN kext in your /extra/extension folder. Most likely you'll need AppleIntelE1000 or BCM5722D added.

M6300 Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2Ghz
FX360M is the NVidia GPU
The Ethernet is BCM5756ME, Bluetooth is Dell DW 360. I tried DellBluetooth Kext but while it worked for me on inspiron 1720, it does not work on M6300
I had tried Voodoo kexts already and it did not help. There also I could only get laptop keyboard working but not the trackpad mouse. Only then I added back the Apple kexts which I had removed. And I'm using 10.11.3. 10.11.4 I'm not receiving through AppStore, it is coming later as an update.
Anyways I tried the specialized VoodooPS2Controller and that did the trick !!! Have laptop keyboard and mouse working.

I will try renaming EHCI to ECH1 for the USB. PS - Dunno how, but both left side USB ports working after taking new VoodooPS2Controller. Only 4 rear not working.

The kicker is Ehernet. Without the latter I can't use AppStore. 

PS Incidently, on Yosemite I have everything working except Ethernet. I didn't even have to use DellBluetooth Kext.

• Administrators

You troubles come mostly from the USB ports or lack of it... BW360 will work again OOB once you sort our the USB ports. The M6300 will be like D630/D830 of same generation: you need to make up the relevant USB injector.

You can very easily derive it from your IOReg USB port analysis and the SMBIOS profile you use.

Grab the USB injector kext of my D630 bootpack or EC guide and you'll see how it's made up.

Just so I understand, should I only try ECHI replace with EHC1 first? Or I need to do both that and USB Injector thingy?
Also I was using 5,1 smbios but then saw the Mavericks thread for M6300 using 3,1 so switched to that. I can switch back to 5,1 if it makes a difference. I just realized it is with 3,1 I have the two left ports working. With 5,1 only the bottom left port works.

EDIT - After simply doing ECH1, I got all ports working with 3,1 (with 5,1 I got 3 ports working, so 2 less in total). So I'm going to stick with 3,1 if that's okay.

MOST IMPORTANT - Bluetooth started working while I can't seem to turn it off (who cares). I guess internally it uses USB connector ?!

I will search for article that explains USB injection. Last time I used it was for latitude e6500 El Cap install, but you had kindly uploaded one so I just took it. For future it might help me to understand with other laptops.

Anyways, my one major issue right now is Ethernet (the exact same situation for this laptop I was in with Yosemite)

• Administrators

References to device EHCI of your DSDT should be replaced by EHC1. However text references to "EHCI" for USB bus type are Ok. you'll see those under Device (EHCI) and Device (EHC2). So you replace all references to EHCI by EHC1, except for:

"device_type",
                            Buffer (0x05)
                            {
                                "EHCI"
                            }, 

In fact, with the use of the USB injector, we'll probably replace EHCx devices by EH0x devices. Try MacBookPro5,1 profile on that M6300, it'll be better than MB5,1. Do not use MacBook3,1 or MacPro3,1 SMBIOS, that is unsuitable. Post a saved IOReg output from, say, IOREgistryExplorer. Then we can adjust the D630n USB injector kext to match your M6300 USB ports.

You're also using a very old FakeSMC kext too, grab the version from my D630 pack, that'll also give you native CPU speedstep, The included AGPM patch will have to be reviewed to match your FX 360M GPU.

Not sure you're actually getting full graphics acceleration. Your DSDT does indeed have a _DSM method to inject nVidia characteristics, but the key parameter device_type is incorrect. DSDT shows:

"device_type", 
                                Buffer (0x0D)          --> incorrect buffer size
                                {
                                    "NVDA,Quadro"      --> incorrect setting
                                }, 

and it must be patched to:

"device_type",
                                Buffer (0x0C)
                                {
                                    "NVDA,Parent"
                                }, 

It's a very common DSDT patch requirement on systems fitted with nVidia GPUs.

The buffer size for GPU model description text is incorrect too; it should be 0x15, not 0x18 though I thought the M6300 was fitted with a Quadro FX 1600M but now you say FX 360M...

Sorry, too many moving parts confusing me. I literally have everything working now accept Ethernet.

Attaching my Extra and IOReg dump. Appreciate if you can tell me again exactly how to proceed.

PS - Voodoo for sound directly installed into S/L/E. I'm not using cache until I get all kexts sorted out. Nothing else besides the kexts in Extensions folder are being additionally used.

PPS - Is there an application that can verify QE/CI works? I've been wanting to ask for a long time. It does seem to be working for me. I heard if the Screen Saver works, then QE/CI is working. The IOReg dump has AGP@1 for the Nvidia.

M6300_10.11_Extra.zip

M6300_IOReg.zip

• Administrators

Yes, run DVDPlayer and click on Show supported Features in Help menu. If you have full graphics acceleration, everything will be available/supported; if you don't,  you won't be able to open up the app, you'll get an error message.

I'll patch your DSDT and prepare the USB injector kext + FakeSMC kext for you.