Audio without voodooHDA on Latitude D Series (AppleHDA STAC9205)

pud469

Here is what I found, seems to work better than voodoo HDA. (Works in 32 or 64 bit.) Please remove anything for using voodooHDA (s/l/e/voodoohda.kext, voodoo.prefpane, e/e/disabler.kext. Install contents of the .zip to Extra/Extensions using kextwizard. There are 4 files that need to be installed. 2 of them are the same for Snow or Lion. The other 2 are native to Snow or Lion and are in the respected folders. I have only tried this with a D630 EDP 1.9.1 and a D830 EDP 2.1. I can imagine if you are using EDP 2.2 and using kernelcache you would have to rebuild.sh to get the 0edp.kext to work. (Possibly removing the existing 0edp.kext first) Since I no longer have the D830 I will not be testing with EDP 2.2. I will upload the files as soon as I get home.

Sorry for the confusion, it is for the STAC9205. I have been working on a STAC9200 in a gateway and mistakenly typed 9200.

STAC9205 Snow&Lion.zip

• Administrators

Hey,

I just tested on a D430 and it dident work (my best guess is that D630 and D830 have a newer version) - the D430 (and most other D series) have:

8086:27d8 - 82801G (ICH7) Audio

Do you know if this one could be modified to support that ?

I do not see why not. There may only be a few different pin configurations, I would think starting with an untouched appleHDA would be better though. I'm still very new to this and I'll will give it a try. I'm currently working with a STAC 9200 on a Gateway. If that works well, I'll take a codec dump from your machine. I'll let you know ASAP, as I have a few other things going on, it may be around a month or so. As for anyone else trying these files, you can install the AppleHDA and FakeSTAC into S/L/E, ignoring the other 2 files. I have not tested with 10.7.2.

I can confirm this is working on both d630 and d830, bringing sound system quality near to perfection. All traces of AppleHDA.kext, AppleHDADisabler.kext, VoodooHDA.kext, etc, must be deleted from /S/L/E and/or /Extra/Extensions and/or /System/Library/Extensions/0EDP.kext

Only AppleHDA.kext MUST be installed on /S/L/E; the other kext(FakeSTAC9205.kext) should be optional; it does not get loaded anyway...I do not see any need for it.

Both AppleHDA.kext and FakeSTAC9205.kext MUST be installed on /S/L/E, assuming you already have IOAudioFamily.kext and OSvKernDSPLib.kext somewhere in /S/L/E or/and /E/E and/or /System/Library/Extensions/0EDP.kext; if that is not the case, then install also those...

PD:

All tests were done on systems running lion 10.7.3 developers preview

Edited by arzolacub

I just prefer to keep IOAudioFamily.kext and OSvKernDSPLib.kext with AppleHDA.kext and Fake STAC in E/E, any OS update will replace AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E, resulting in no sound. Apple can update the IOAudioFamily.kext and OSvKernDSPLib.kext at anytime, breaking the sound also. Because of AppleHDA.kext dependencies, IOAudioFamily.kext and OSvKernDSPLib.kext also need to be in E/E. I'm not sure if this is the case with 0edp.kext.

There are a few tools out that make patching AppleHDA easier, but unfortunately they do not recognize my STAC9200 dump as a valid linux dump. I will have to make the verbs manually, just something to take more time.

I just installed this on my Precision M4300(=D830) with 10.7.2. It's great and it no longer hangs occasionally on voodoohda loading! I put it in /Extra Extensions,which appears to override /s/l/e. It survived the update to 10.7.3 via combo update. Thanks a lot for this. My Precision M4300 is now a great Lion machine. With SSD it is pretty fast. The only thing I am not yet happy about is the touchpad. Should I use voodoops2 or appleps2? Which version? Thx

Hugo